Applying for a Building Warrant
For all building projects that require a Building Warrant, costs, time scales and how to apply.
The Building Standards service offers you the opportunity to submit building warrants online. The process all building works should follow is:
- Determine if you need a Building Warrant
- See our Extensions and Attic checklist
- Register and submit your Building Warrant application
- Pay for your Building Warrant application
- After warrant has been approved, notify the council when you intend to start the work
- Ensure you contact the Council to arrange statutory inspections and notifications. The contact details for Building Standards can be found on this page.
- Apply for a Completion Certificate once the building work is complete
It is an offence to start work without a building warrant, where a building warrant is required. Starting work could result in statutory enforcement action being taken and result in a fine of up to £5,000.
Building Warrant applications can be created and submitted at:
This is simple, quick to use and contains all the information you need to pay for and submit your application.
If you have already created an account for ePlanning you can use your existing account details to submit both planning and building warrant applications
You can use the online service to:
- Submit a Building Warrant application
- Submit an amendment to a Building Warrant application
- Submit a Completion Certificate
- Extend the period of validity on a Building Warrant
- Submit additional documents
- Notify start of works
Further advice, support and contact details on Building Warrants
If you have any queries regarding submitting your application, uploading documentation or payments please contact:Claire Kelly
System Development Officer
Building Standards Service
Tel: 0141 577 3050
The Scottish Government also provide further information on building standards nationally: