Armed forces community support
Information and support for the Armed Forces Community.
Have you served in the Armed Forces?
East Renfrewshire Council has signed a Community Covenant with the armed forces and Voluntary Action East Renfrewshire to build on the good relations between the Armed Forces Community, the Council and its partner organisations in this area. The Covenant is a voluntary statement of mutual support which recognises and remembers the sacrifices made by members of the community and this includes currently serving men and women, veterans, their families, carers and widow/er/s.
Working with our partners we will improve the service delivery experience to these groups in our area by raising awareness and understanding of the issues affecting service personnel and improve local access to a range of supporting agencies.
The main objectives are to:
- Ensure that service personnel are known to their health provider and can access specialist advice services through NHS Scotland
- Improve overall health and wellbeing and offer guidance on specific health concerns including advice with mental and physical recovery
- Coordinate access to housing, homelessness, social care, benefits including welfare reform, literacy support and other council services
- Coordinate access to mental health and addictions services
- Signpost the Veterans Welfare Service, Ministry of Defence "Supporting Services Through Life" for help or advice on pay, pensions, compensation, Department for Works and Pensions (DWP) benefit assistance and signposting to ex-service organisations. See the Veterans-UK website for further information and details of the helpline number
- Signpost Combat Stress for treatment and support to those suffering from mental ill-health as a result of their service career
- Signpost volunteering services through East Renfrewshire Council for the Voluntary Sector
- Access employability services and Council's employability team through Work EastRen.
The above services and contacts can be accessed through the external webpages and related pages on this page.
The Council also coordinates annual armed forces remembrance events across the authority and in partnership with the United Services Club, Barrhead and the British Legion including a flag raising ceremony and armed forces day celebrations. Information about these events will be published on this page as they are arranged.