Skip to content

Our Customer Service opening hours will change from 3 April 2017. Opening hours will be 8.45pm - 4.45pm, Monday to Friday. The Payment Centre hours will be 9am - 4.15pm, with credit/debit card payments only between 1pm and 2pm. 

Live chat: If you cannot find what you're looking for, or need help completing an online form, our Customer Service Officers are available on live chat between 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday. Live chat 


Gaming machines

Details of licensing requirements for gaming machines.

A gaming machine licence is required in respect of premises providing amusements with prizes by way of machines.

The most common applications of gaming machines are those commonly referred to as 'fruit machines' and 'one-armed bandits' which make small payments. Typically these machines would be found in pubs and clubs

Premises with an alcohol licence ("on sales" only) have an automatic right to use up to two gaming machines of either category C or D. To activate this right, the licence holder must write to the Licensing Board to give notice of the intent to use the automatic right and pay a processing fee of £50.

Members Clubs and miner's welfare institutes may apply for a Club Gaming Permit which allows up to three gaming machines of Category B, C or D and also allows certain games of chance.

Members Clubs, miner's welfare institutes and commercial clubs may apply for a club machine permit which authorises the use of up to three gaming machines which can be Category B, C or D.

Application process

The applicant must lodge a copy of the application with the Chief Constable and the Gambling Commission and they have a period of 28 days from the date of application to object. In considering the application, the Licensing Board will have regard to guidance issued by the Commission and to the licensing objectives.


  • 10 years.


  • Application fee £200.00.
  • Annual Fee £50.00.
  • Automatic Entitlement  £50.00.

Feedback on this page

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)