Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).



Health, disability and social care benefits

More information about various health, disability and social care benefits that residents can claim from the UK government.

The following health, disability and social care benefits are offered to citizens who qualify. These benefits are managed and paid by central government.

Find out if you are eligible to apply for any of the benefits below by either contacting the council's Income Maximisation Team or the Department of Works and Pensions.

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance is a tax-free benefit for people aged 65 or over who need someone to help look after them because they are physically or mentally disabled.

Carer's Allowance

Carer's Allowance is a taxable benefit to help people who look after someone who is disabled. You do not have to be related to, or live with, the person that you care for.

Personal Independence Payment (formerly covered by Disability Living Allowance)

Disability Living Allowance - sometimes referred to as DLA - was a tax-free benefit for disabled children and adults who need someone to help look after them, or have walking difficulties.

From 10 June 2013, a new benefit called personal independence payment (PIP) was introduced to replace disability living allowance (DLA) for people of working age (16-64).Children under 16 will continue to claim DLA, and people over 65 can claim Attendance Allowance.

From October 2013, if you are aged between 16 and 65 and you report a change in your condition, you must apply for PIP instead.

The council's Income Maximisation Team is happy to assist you with completing the PIP form. They can visit you at your home.

If you received DLA and were aged between 16 and 64 on 8 April 2013, you should have eventually made a claim for PIP instead, even if you have been given an indefinite or lifetime award for DLA.  At some point between January 2014 and March 2016 you will be contacted by DWP and invited to claim PIP (pdf icon Timetable for the implementation of PIP [63kb]). When you claim PIP your DLA will continue to be paid until the PIP claim has been decided, but if you do not make a claim for PIP within 28 days your DLA will be suspended.

Employment and Support Allowance and Incapacity Benefit

Employment and Support Allowance replaces Incapacity Benefit and Income Support that is paid because of an illness or disability for new claimants from 27 October 2008.  Jobcentre Plus will review your Incapacity Benefit claim to see if you're capable of work or eligible for ESA.

Your claim won't be reviewed if you'll reach State Pension age before 6 April 2014.

Help with Health Costs

Most National Health Service (NHS) treatment is free but there can be charges for some things. You may be able to get help with NHS health costs if for example you're on a low income.

Further advice

For benefits advice, guidance and assistance with the full range of welfare benefits, please visit:

You can also use the DWP recommended online benefits calculators to work out if you are entitled to Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction:

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)