Apply for or update a taxi vehicle or taxi driver licence
Taxis are permitted to pick up fares from the street without pre-booking. Both the vehicle and the driver must have separate licences.
The Customer Services Team are now operating an appointment system for anyone who requires to book multiple vehicle inspection appointments or alternatively requires to lodge multiple vehicle licence applications. You can book an appointment by telephoning our Customer Services direct on 0141 577 3005.
- Must be less than 5 years old when licensed and maximum age 10 years.
- Can pick up in the street or wait in a taxi rank.
- Must have a meter.
- Require an annual MOT from 1 year old.
- Requires annual testing (6 months if over 7 years old from date of registration).
- Must pass the council's knowledge test.
- Must have a valid taxi driver's licence.
Taxi vehicle licences are presently restricted to 77 vehicles in East Renfrewshire. Taxi vehicle licences are available, please enquire with Customer Services for availability:Customer First (customer services)
Tel: 0141 577 3005
Mon to Fri: 8am - 6pm
Wheelchair accessible vehicles
Applications for a one, two or three year Taxi Licence or Private Hire Car Licence where the vehicle is wheelchair accessible will not require to pay a fee for the application as these licences are free of charge.
Substitution applications where vehicle is wheelchair accessible are also free of charge.
The age limit for which a wheelchair accessible vehicle entry level onto a private hire car licence/ public hire car licence is up to a maximum of 7 years from the first date of registration and must then be removed from the licence up to a maximum of 12 years from the first date of registration.
An individual OR a company/partnership may apply to licence the vehicle.
Where a company/partnership application is made, identification must be submitted for all partners, directors and managers.
Taxi - Private Hire Vehicle Licence Application Form - Individual [102kb]
- Company or partnership:
Taxi - Private Hire Vehicle Licence Application Form - Company or Partnership [127kb]
- A taxi driver's licence allows you to drive both taxis and private hire cars.
- A private hire driver's licence allows you to drive only private hire cars.
Before you make an application for a Taxi Drivers licence you will need to pass the Taxi Knowledge Test. This tests your knowledge of local streets and places within East Renfrewshire and includes a practical driving test. The council's Civic Government enforcement officer is the examiner and a pass mark of 80% is required.
If you are renewing your Taxi Driver's licence or if your licence has expired in the last 3 months you will not need to re-sit your knowledge test.
To book and pay for a Knowledge Test please contact Customer First on 0141 577 3001.
Taxi driver licence application
You will need to complete a Taxi Drivers Licence application form and produce the following documentation.
- Your Full Driving Licence which you must have held continuously for the previous 1 year and which shows your current address. (New and Renewal applications.)
- Your current passport. (New applications only.)
- Applicants not resident in the UK must provide (at their own expense and officially translated if necessary) a Certificate of Good Conduct from the country they reside in.
- Applicants who have been resident in the UK for less than 5 years prior to application must provide (at their own expense, and officially translated if necessary) a Certificate of Good Conduct or similar document from the justice authority of the country where they previously resided. (New applications only.)
- Evidence of entitlement to work in the UK if not a UK or EU citizen.
All new licences will run for a period of one year from the date of approval (unless certain restrictions are imposed by the Licensing Committee).
Copy applications will be forwarded to Police Scotland who will carry out a Criminal background check on each applicant. Any unspent convictions not declared by you may be disclosed by the Police and may affect your application.
Fees and tariff sheet for metered vehicles
Change of circumstances to existing licences
Changes to an existing licence other than registration (for example, tow bar addition):
If you are changing your registration plate, please us the following:
Please note, if you wish to advertise on your vehicle you must submit: