Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).


Benefits advice

Advice and assistance on how to work out if you are entitled to benefits and how to claim them.

Our Income Maximisation Service can provide advice, guidance and assistance with the full range of welfare benefits.

If you are unsure that you are receiving all the benefits you are entitled to, please visit:

You can check your own entitlement using one of the government recommended calculators:

Change of circumstances

If you receive housing benefit and/or council tax reduction and your situation, or the situation of anyone who lives with you, changes; you must let us know. For example, your income may have gone up or down or someone might have moved in or out of your home.

Council tax and rent support

If you are on a low income you may be able to claim money to help pay with your rent and/ or council tax. This money is called Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction. Discounts are also available for residents who are not entitled to council tax reduction but who have other people staying with them on a low income. There are also discounts on offer for residents who live alone or who share a house with students.

Additional support with housing costs

If you are a tenant within East Renfrewshire and your housing benefit has been reduced for any of the following reasons the council may be able to help and you should apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment.

Who can apply?

  • Tenants when housing benefit has been reduced because of the benefit cap.
  • Tenants when housing benefit has been reduced following the removal of spare room subsidy in the social rental sector. (Local authority or housing association tenants).
  • Private sector tenants when housing benefit has been restricted because of local housing allowance restrictions.
  • Anyone who needs additional assistance to prevent homelessness should also apply.

You can find out more about the spare room subsidy at:

Qualifying conditions

To qualify for assistance you need to be in receipt of housing benefit and require further assistance with housing costs.

How to apply

Application forms have been sent to all tenants affected by removal of the spare room subsidy.

If you need help to complete the form (or require an additional copy) you should contact:

Kerry Martin
Tel: 0141 577 3649

Discretionary Housing Payment is only available if you submit an application each year.

Even if you applied last year, a new form is required for the current year (1 April 2015 to 31 March 2016).

Help is available, please apply for it!

Where else can I get more advice?

Please visit the UK government's Department for Work and Pensions site for more information on national UK benefits:

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)