Bridges to wellbeing - promoting good thinking
Information about short term help to cope with mild/moderate depression and anxiety.
Many people experience emotional difficulties due to stressful life events.
Are you experiencing mild to moderate difficulties?
- Feeling Depressed.
- Experiencing increased anxiety or panic attacks.
- Being unable to cope with everyday life like you used to.
Then bridges trained workers offer short term help to develop your coping skills.
We offer a range of advice, groups, classes and 1:1 sessions.
All sessions are free.
We actively promote confidentiality within all of our groups.
This is not a crisis service.
If you are having thoughts of suicide please contact any of the following:
- Your GP.
- NHS 24: 111.
- The Samaritans: 116 123.
- Breathing Space: 0800 83 85 87.
6pm - 2am Mon - Thu
6pm - 6am Fri - Mon
If you or anyone you know is in immediate danger, please contact:
- Emergency services: 999
Groups, classes and 1:1 sessions
We run a variety of guided therapeutic groups, classes and 1:1 sessions.
They are set up in such a way as to enable you to access self help material and develop relaxation techniques whilst having access to a qualified Cognitive Behavioural Therapist, Counsellor, Mental Health Practitioner/ Therapist or Development Worker.
- Groups tend to meet for a 1.5hr per session.
- All sessions are free.
- Available to adults with a GP within East Renfrewshire (Barrhead, Busby, Clarkston, Eaglesham, Giffnock, Netherlee, Newton Mearns, Thornliebank, Uplawmoor, Waterfoot).
- Sessions alternate between Barrhead and Eastwood venues.
How to refer to Bridges
You can be referred to our service by your GP or other health care professional e.g. Health Visitor; Social Worker; Occupational Therapist; District Nurse.
What happens next?
- When we receive your referral, we will send you a letter asking you to contact us within 7 days
- Once you have called us to opt in to our service, you will receive a telephone call from one of our therapists to conduct a brief assessment (20-30mins). This will identify the problems that you would like support with and help us to decide which options may be best for you
The Bridges team
The team consists of CBT therapists, counsellors, mental health practitioners and therapists, a development worker, an administrator and a manager.
If you have any general enquiries about the scheme, you can contact us at:Bridges to Well Being
Tel: 0141 451 0590 (general enquiries only)
65 and over?
You can also self refer to our scheme aimed at older people within East Renfrewshire:
Other ways to improve your wellbeing
Leisure activities are a vital part of keeping our minds healthy, take a look at what services the council and the East Renfrewshire Leisure and Culture Trust offer:
These external organisations offer Additional and/or targeted support:
- Living Life To The Full: free self help computerised courses
- Recovery Across Mental Health (RAMH)
Renfrewshire-wide support for recovery from mental ill health.
- Citizens Advice Scotland
Get practical advice to tackle sources of stress.
- Sandyford Clinic
Sexual health related issues.
- Know the Score
Confidential drugs advice.
- East Renfrewshire Carers Centre
Support for carers.
- NHS telephone CBT service
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy over the telephone.
- Wellbeing services in South Glasgow
Courses available for managing stress, anxiety, anger, trouble sleeping and more.
- Self Help Leaflets
- Centre for Clinical Interventions (CCI)
Clinically researched self help packages you can use anonymously for free.