Business Rates (non-domestic rates)
Business Rates, or Non-Domestic Rates, are paid by every company or business and help to pay for local council services.
Since December 2005, business rates in East Renfrewshire are administered and collected by Renfrewshire Council.
Your council tax is still administered and collected by East Renfrewshire Council.
How much do I pay?
The amount you pay is based on:
- The rateable value of your property. The assessor sets the rateable value of your property and is required to carry out a revaluation every five years. A revaluation exercise took place in 2009 with the current rateable values being effective from 1 April 2010.
- The rate per pound announced annually by the Scottish Government. The national rate set for 2016/17 is 48.4p per £.
Properties with a rateable value of over £35,000 will have a supplement of 2.6p per £ charged resulting in a rate of 51.0p per £.
If you disagree with the rateable value of your property, you can appeal to the Renfrewshire Valuation Joint Board on the Scottish Assessors Association website.
Business Rates guidance and calculator
The following types of properties are eligible for a rates reduction:
- Empty properties ( Legislation Changes- Empty Properties [7kb]).
- New business that have previously been occupied for 12 months or more.
- New build properties.
- Properties occupied by charities and non-profit organisations.
- Properties where nursing care is provided.
- Rural post offices and general stores.
- Properties that qualify for the Scottish Government's "Small Businesses Bonus".
More details on reductions can be found in the Non Domestic Rates leaflet:
To apply for a reduction or to make an enquiry, contact the Renfrewshire team on 0300 300 0202 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Small Business Bonus Scheme
From 1 April 2015 the Scottish Government will continue with the existing Small Business Bonus Scheme (SBBS). If you are already receiving SBBS, your relief will automatically transfer into 2015/16.
The level of reduction for 2015/16 is as follows:
Combined Rateable Value
Percentage of reduction
|up to £10,000||100%|
|£10,000 - £12,000||50%|
|£12,001 - £18,000||25%|
When to Pay
You can pay your business rates either in:
- Ten monthly instalments from May to February. Payments are due on the 7th of each month.
- Two half-yearly instalment in June and December.
How to Pay
Your direct debit will be taken from your bank or building society on or after the 7th of each month. Call 0300 300 0202 about setting up a direct debit.
You can pay online at: Renfrewshire Council: Make an online payment. Payment should be made to sort code 82-54-04 account number 90000086.
Credit or debit card
Payment can be made in person or by telephoning the call centre 0300 300 0202 (office hours).
An automated payment service is also available 24 hours a day by telephoning 0300 300 300. Any payment you make using our automated payment line will be taken off your current year's bill. (Please note that a 2% fee is charged on all credit card payments).
Cheque or postal order
Should be made payable to Renfrewshire Council.
If you have paid by standing order before fill in the form attached to your annual bill and send to your bank. If you have not paid by standing order before and want to do so, contact Renfrewshire Council.
Payment can be made at Renfrewshire Council customer service centre, Monday to Friday 8 am to 6 pm, or at any customer Service Point.Business Rates
Renfrewshire Council / Renfrewshire House,
Finance and Corporate Services / Business Rates,
Tel: 0300 300 0202
Fax: 0141 618 7052