Councillors and democracy
This page provides general information about East Renfrewshire's councillors and their wards
East Renfrewshire Council comprises 20 councillors, representing 6 multi-member wards. These wards are made up of either 3 or 4 members. There is no overall political control of the Council and it is formed by a coalition, comprising 8 Labour, 4 SNP and 1 Independent. There is further information available on the current political composition of the council.
Your local councillors can help support you with any council issues.
The wards and councillors for each are:
Ward 1 - Neilston, Uplawmoor and Newton Mearns North
- Councillor Tony Buchanan (SNP)
- Councillor Charlie Gilbert (Conservative)
- Councillor Elaine Green (Labour)
- Councillor Paul O'Kane (Labour)
Ward 2 - Barrhead
- Councillor Betty Cunningham (Labour)
- Councillor Danny Devlin (Independent)
- Councillor Kenny Hay (Labour)
- Councillor Tommy Reilly (SNP)
Ward 3 - Giffnock and Thornliebank
- Councillor Jim Fletcher (Labour)
- Councillor Gordon Wallace (Conservative)
- Councillor Vincent Waters (SNP)
Ward 4 - Netherlee, Stamperland and Williamwood
- Councillor Gordon McCaskill (Conservative)
- Councillor Mary Montague (Labour)
- Councillor Ralph Robertson (Independent)
Ward 5 - Newton Mearns South
- Councillor Barbara Grant (Conservative)
- Councillor Ian McAlpine (Labour)
- Councillor Jim Swift (Conservative)
Ward 6 - Busby, Clarkston and Eaglesham
- Provost Alastair Carmichael (SNP)
- Councillor Alan Lafferty (Labour)
- Councillor Stewart Miller (Conservative)
Details for each of the councillors including how they can be contacted, surgeries, committee memberships, appointments as council representatives on outside organisations, and register of interest entries can be found on the individual councillor pages.
As well as their ordinary councillor duties the Leader of the Council and a number of other councillors (conveners) have additional responsibilities. Full details of these councillors and their responsibilities can viewed in the Related documents section.
Councillors' remuneration and expenses
Details of remuneration and expenses paid to councillors can be view in the tables in the Related documents section.