Information on what to do if you are homeless or likely to become homeless within 56 days.
What can you do for me if I am homeless or threatened with homelessness?
If you are homeless or think you may become homeless within the next 56 days you should approach the council's housing office in either Barrhead or Eastwood or phone the housing advice team on 0141 577 3001
It is very important that you contact us straight away as we may be able to:
- prevent you from losing your home
- help you find other accommodation
- contact other services whom may be able to help you
- offer you somewhere to stay
What will happen when I contact you?
If you have somewhere to stay at the moment, we will make an appointment for you to discuss your situation with a Housing Advisor within two working days. If you have nowhere at all to stay, we will offer you an appointment to see a Housing Advisor on the day that you contact us. If you need or would prefer to speak to a male or female officer, please ask.
- Offer a translation service if your first language is not English
- Offer assistance with communication difficulties
- Offer you the opportunity to bring a friend, relative or advisor to your interview
- Offer you an interview in private
- Offer you an interview with an officer of the same sex
- Treat you with consideration and respect the confidentiality of your situation
What if I become homeless when your offices are closed?
If you become homeless outside office hours, and you have nowhere else to stay, you should contact our emergency number. We have a homeless standby service which operates through the night, at weekends, and on public holidays. The phone number is 0800 052 0180. Our homeless standby service can arrange temporary accommodation if you have nowhere else to stay. We will contact you the next working day to arrange an interview at our office.
Organisations offering Independent Advice
East Renfrewshire Citizens Advice Bureau
216 Main Street, Glasgow G78 1SN
0141 881 2032
Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri: 9.30 - 15.30
Wed: 9.30 - 15.30 and 15.30 - 18.00 (by appt.)
Shelter Scotland Helpline,
0808 800 4444
(9.00am - 5.00pm Monday to Friday)
The Shelter advice line is free to call from landlines and all six of the main UK mobile networks: Virgin, Orange, 3, T-Mobile, Vodafone and O2, but charges may apply from any other network.