Our housing service: what to expect
Details of the service standards for housing services including repairs, allocations, homeless and tenancy services.
Housing service standards
- We will carry out a new tenant visit within 20 working days from the date of tenancy agreement.
- We will carry out any enquiries and will send you a letter advising you on the outcome of your application within 20 working days from receipt of your application form.
- We will have a medical board every month and will process the results within 3 working days.
- We will select a new tenant for vacant houses within 3 working days of termination. If this first selection is unsuccessful we will make further selections within 3 working days.
- We will ensure that all homeless applicants who present as 'roofless' are seen by a trained officer on the same day. All other cases will be seen within 2 working days, except where applicants request a specific date beyond this timescale.
- We will carry out and complete our investigation of your case and you will be informed of our decision in writing within 28 days, subject to relevant information and contact being maintained.
We will always endeavour to give you 28 days notice before carrying out any major works to your property that may cause disruption, subject to information being received from the contractors.
Council house sales
- We will issue an offer to you within 8 weeks of receiving a formal application to purchase.
- We will aim to complete the sale within 26 weeks.
Council house repairs
- Emergency category response within 24 hours - We will carry out an emergency repair, for example, where there is no heating. If a full repair is not possible, we will supply temporary heating until a repair can be carried out.
- Urgent category response within 10 working days - We will, for example, renew a light switch or repair a small leak. We will always offer an appointment for this category of work.
- Cyclic category response within 25 working days - We will provide routine repairs, for example, repairing small cracks in plaster work. Where possible we will offer an appointment for this category of work.
- We will monitor and regularly review our performance, actively involving tenants in this process. We will also monitor the effectiveness of consultation and its influence on service delivery.
- We will welcome any comments you wish to make on our services and will carry out surveys on a regular basis to gain opinions on the delivery of our services.
We will carry out any enquiries relating to your application and you will be informed of our decision, in writing, within 2 months of receipt of all information required.