Houses in multiple occupation
Information about registering 'houses in multiple occupation'
When you must apply for a licence
If you rent out a property for a house in multiple occupation (HMO), you may require a licence from your local authority.
How to apply
All HMO licences are issued by the UK government.
Information you must provide
- Scale plan of the premises: (6) Copies of plans.
- Sample of tenancy agreement
- Buildings insurance certificate
- Public liability insurance certificate
- Electrical Safety certificate: Includes PATS Testing of appliances, Electrical Installation Condition Report and Smoke Alarm check.
- Gas safety certificate
- Fire Risk Assessment
You can find details of the full regulations in the Related documents area.
- For New Applications the costs for up to 6 people is £745 and for 7 people or over the cost is £945
- For Renewals the cost for up to 6 people is £470 and for 7 people or over the cost is £610
- There is no cost to supply a certificate of compliance
- There could be additional charges if there are a changes to the licence for a house in multiple occupation