Parking in East Renfrewshire
Enforcement of parking regulations is now the responsibility of East Renfrewshire Council.
East Renfrewshire Council has been granted powers for to enable the enforcement of parking restrictions by the Scottish Government.
This responsibility was transferred from the police to the council on the 2 April 2013. Parking offences are now a civil matter rather than a criminal one.
This is known as Decriminalised Parking Enforcement (DPE).
The benefits of introducing these changes to East Renfrewshire are:
- The council now has the ability to implement parking policies through enhanced enforcement of restrictions.
- Fewer accidents due to reduction in dangerous and inconsiderate parking.
- By enforcing Traffic Regulation Orders, traffic is permitted to flow more freely.
- Turnover of parking spaces can be encouraged to make more use of existing parking spaces.
- Control of parking will allow better monitoring of the effectiveness of Traffic Regulation Orders.
- If there is any excess revenue from parking fines (Penalty Charge Notices) issued it can be used to improve roads, street lighting and off-street parking.
Parking restrictions in East Renfrewshire are enforced by the Community Wardens, they are on duty 24 hours a day as some restrictions can be enforced at any time. If you see any parking which contravenes marked restrictions you wish to report, you can call our Ring and Report helpline: 0800 013 0076.
If you have any further questions please read the Q&A document: