Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).



Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new single payment for people who are looking for work or on a low income and will be launched in East Renfrewshire Council on 15 February 2016.

Universal Credit will simplify the benefits system by bringing together a range of working-age benefits into a single streamlined payment.

Landlords: find out how Universal Credit changes affect rent arrears on 27 April 2016:
East Ren landlords to get DWP advice on Universal Credit​.

Universal Credit is coming to East Renfrewshire 15 February 2016

People who are required to look for work will claim this new benefit instead of Jobseekers Allowance.  Initially this will only affect single people.  Changes for couples and families will come later.

To make a new Universal Credit claim you must be:

  • Single.
  • Be of working age.
  • Have a bank account.
  • Not have responsibility for children.
  • Not have more than £6000 of savings.
  • Not be paying child maintenance.
  • Not have your own home.
  • Not have a fit note.
  • Not be on, or appealing, a previous means tested benefits.

You need to apply for Universal credit online

You can do this at the UK government page:

UK government: Apply for Universal Credit online

If you need help to make your claim, the UC helpline is on 0345 600 0723 (telephone) and 0345 600 0743 (textphone).

Support for claiming

Our Money Advice and Rights Team (MART) can provide support in making a claim for Universal Credit.

For more information
Call the Money Advice and Rights Team on:
0800 052 1023

What's different about Universal Credit?

The main differences between Universal Credit and the current welfare system are:

  • most people will apply online and manage their claim through an online account
  • claimants will receive just one monthly payment, paid into a bank account in the same way as a monthly salary
  • support with housing costs will go direct to the claimant as part of their monthly payment and they will then have to pay their landlord direct. This could be the Council, a Housing Association of a private landlord.

Pensioners will continue to have their housing costs paid straight to their landlord.

Who will administer universal credit?

The Department of Works and Pensions will be responsible for the administration of universal credit. Therefore the housing benefit element of universal credit will not be administered by the council. For further information, contact Job Centre Plus on 0845 604 3719.

Managing your budget

For advice on how to budget or manage debts, contact East Renfrewshire Council Money Advice & rights Team on 0800 052 1023 or the Citizens Advice Bureau on 0141 881 2032.

Informative video

Money advice services (national agency) has produced an informative video outlining how to get ready for universal credit.

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)