Events programme (Whitelee Ranger Service)
Discover the exciting free programme of events and activities provided by the Whitelee Ranger Service including details of the popular Stroller Striders group.
WCRS Events Programme
That's a wrap on our event guide for 2016. We're busy over the winter period putting together an events programme for 2017, which should be available from early 2017, so keep an eye out for it. A huge thanks to everyone who attended our events in 2016, of which there were 25 different events including guided walks, kids activities (and our popular Boggy Beasties Club), nature and wildlife events and popular favourites.
Printed copies of the 2017 guide will be delivered to libraries and parks etc in early 2017.
|Check out our Facebook and Twitter feeds for photos, event updates and much more.|
Boggy Beasties Summer Club 2016
Please note that our Boggy Beasties summer club is now finished but will return in 2017 for more fun filled Wednesdays.
Whitelee Stroller Striders - Winter 2016-17
This is our popular parent and baby walking group which has been running since 2011 and seen over 300 participants take part - and babies grow up.
In a change for the 2016/17 winter months, the group will continue to meet at the Whitelee visitor centre and make use of the windfarm tracks through December. Access to the outside toilets is available at the visitor centre but due to the closure of the centre to the general public at this time, the cafe etc is closed. We will continue to meet at 10am at Whitelee through December up until the 20th December.
Please note there will be no strollers on the 27th December or 3rd January.
From January 10th the group will switch to meeting every Tuesday at 11am at alternate parks. At the winter locations, Rouken Glen Park and Calderglen Country Park, the walk lengths are approximately 4 miles but are on various surfaces. The walks take approximately 1.5 hours with parents pushing their babies all bundled up in their push chairs/strollers. Grandparents, friends and the family dog are welcome to come along as well. The walk is free and there is no need to book in advance - just come along and join the group, enjoy the walk and have a good chat with fellow parents along the way.
The group is informal and members can come and go depending on how busy they are each week. The countryside rangers accompany the group all the way to provide help if required.
Please contact the countryside rangers for further information or if you have any questions.
Booking For Events - Essential Information
- Where an event is indicated as 'booking required' this is because spaces are limited and the rangers advise you to book early to avoid disappointment. If you don't book you risk being turned away if the event is full. The event program indicates which events require a booking and those that are 'drop-in'.
- Where events are listed as 'drop-in' activities you do not require prior booking.
- To book onto an event please contact the Whitelee Countryside Ranger Service using the contact details on this page.
- Please note that bookings can only be made between 9am and 4.30pm, Monday to Friday. Outside of these times please either email the ranger service or leave a message on the answer phone service and we will contact you back to confirm your booking.
- The Whitelee Countryside Ranger Service offers all of its events free of charge. Participants are requested to come prepared with suitable clothing and footwear and if it's a bike event, that your bike is suitable for the terrain (either mountain bike or hybrid), in a good working order and cycle helmets must be worn.
- Why not take a look at our 'Bike Safety Help-sheet' in the related documents section to help you make sure your bicycle is in a good condition to ensure maximum enjoyment when you join us on a cycle event at Whitelee.
We aim to start all events at the time advertised unless otherwise advised. Please aim to arrive 5 - 10 minutes before the event start time so that we can start promptly. Event finish times and distances are subject to change depending on conditions but the rangers will advise of any changes in advance.
Please see the Related pages box to link over to the 'How to get to Whitelee' page where downloads with directions to the various meeting points/entrances can be found.
All children must be accompanied by an adult on any event.
Dog Friendly Events
Some of the guided walks and other activities are 'Dog Friendly' and the rangers are happy for you to bring your dog along on these events, but we ask that you keep them on the lead and/or under 'close control'. Some events will not be suitable for bringing dogs however and the rangers ask that you contact them to check if you can bring your dog. For further useful information on bringing your four-legged friend to Whitelee please go to the Related documents section.
The rangers may take photographs on their events to be used in marketing and promotional material. If you do not wish your photographs to be used, please let one of the rangers know before the event.