Events programme (Whitelee Ranger Service)
Discover the exciting free programme of events and activities provided by the Whitelee Ranger Service including details of the popular Stroller Striders group.
WCRS Events Programme
Our 2017 events guide is out and can be downloaded from this page. As always our events are free to take part in and include a mix of walks, nature activities, family activities and crafts. Printed copies of the booklet will be out soon and available from the visitor centre and the main entrance to the windfarm, as well as through local libraries and parks. Our popular kids Boggy Beasties Club is back again this summer with nature and wildlife events and popular favourites.
Warble A. M.
Fly swiftly to Whitelee and join fellow bird lovers on International Dawn Chorus day and Swallow the sounds of nature's choir on an approximately 2 mile guided walk. Bring your binoculars and we'll provide the soundtrack as well as a...very Pheasant cuppa at the end. Beginners to experts all welcome - we're all just bird lovers!
|Mossy Bog Stomp|
Join the rangers for an off-track adventure. this walk covers approximately 4 miles over sometimes rough and boggy terrain, so remember your boots! Don't forget to pack your lunch and flask for a brew at the top of the hill. Not suitable for young children.
|Check out our Facebook and Twitter feeds for photos, event updates and much more.|
Boggy Beasties Summer Club 2017
The Boggy Beasties is our popular kids summer club where every Wednesday we get the group outside for healthy fun and games, normally based on a theme for the summer. This years theme is Scottish history and we will be doing lots of fun games and activities culminating in our very own mini-highland games.
Joining the group is free and it's a great way to stop the kids spending the summer in front of the games console! All that is asked in return is that you keep the rangers updated if you cannot make any of the weeks, so that places can be offered to the waiting list.
This is a popular summer group so get in quick to avoid disappointment. Enrolment forms can be found on this page.
Whitelee Stroller Striders
This is our popular parent and baby walking group which has been running since 2011 and seen over 300 participants take part - and babies grow up.
The Whitelee Stroller Striders is a walking group for parents with young children. The group meets every Tuesday morning at 10am and set off (normally around 10.15am) on a brisk walk from the Whitelee Visitor Centre Cap Park with the little ones tucked up in their prams/pushchairs and the parents wrapped up in conversation. The group is led by one of the Whitelee Countryside Rangers who guide the group around the windfarm tracks for approximately 4 miles before returning to the Whitelee Visitor Centre where the walkers stop for a coffee and well earned rest.
The group also welcomes well behaved dogs, grandparents/family members and friends along on the walk. Throughout the winter months, the strollers go 'on location' visiting the partners of the Whitelee Countryside Ranger Service in Rouken Glen, Dean Castle and Calderglen, however the dedicated 'Strollers' always stay at Whitelee right up until the end of November, come rain or shine before going off on tour. This is a fun and enjoyable group that always welcomes new members, you don't need to pre-book, just meet the other walkers in the Visitor Centre Car park at 10am any Tuesday and join in with this walk.
Please contact the countryside rangers for further information or if you have any questions.
Booking For Events - Essential Information
- Where an event is indicated as 'booking required' this is because spaces are limited and the rangers advise you to book early to avoid disappointment. If you don't book you risk being turned away if the event is full. The event program indicates which events require a booking and those that are 'drop-in'.
- Where events are listed as 'drop-in' activities you do not require prior booking.
- To book onto an event please contact the Whitelee Countryside Ranger Service using the contact details on this page.
- Please note that bookings can only be made between 9am and 4.30pm, Monday to Friday. Outside of these times please either email the ranger service or leave a message on the answer phone service and we will contact you back to confirm your booking.
- The Whitelee Countryside Ranger Service offers all of its events free of charge. Participants are requested to come prepared with suitable clothing and footwear and if it's a bike event, that your bike is suitable for the terrain (either mountain bike or hybrid), in a good working order and cycle helmets must be worn.
- Why not take a look at our 'Bike Safety Help-sheet' in the related documents section to help you make sure your bicycle is in a good condition to ensure maximum enjoyment when you join us on a cycle event at Whitelee.
We aim to start all events at the time advertised unless otherwise advised. Please aim to arrive 5 - 10 minutes before the event start time so that we can start promptly. Event finish times and distances are subject to change depending on conditions but the rangers will advise of any changes in advance.
Please see the Related pages box to link over to the 'How to get to Whitelee' page where downloads with directions to the various meeting points/entrances can be found.
All children must be accompanied by an adult on any event.
Dog Friendly Events
Some of the guided walks and other activities are 'Dog Friendly' and the rangers are happy for you to bring your dog along on these events, but we ask that you keep them on the lead and/or under 'close control'. Some events will not be suitable for bringing dogs however and the rangers ask that you contact them to check if you can bring your dog. For further useful information on bringing your four-legged friend to Whitelee please go to the Related documents section.
The rangers may take photographs on their events to be used in marketing and promotional material. If you do not wish your photographs to be used, please let one of the rangers know before the event.