Monuments & sites of interest
Information about the interesting and unusual monuments scattered throughout the Whitelee windfarm
In part due to its large size the Whitelee windfarm contains not just a number of sites of interest but a strange and interesting variety of them also. The information presented here is merely a starting point for anyone interested in delving deeper into the local history of the windfarm and/or possibly visiting the sites.
For further points of interest not mentioned here it is recommended to look at the OS map sheet for the site which contains a number of locations of historical features such as cairns, old farm steadings etc. as well as those listed below.
At the time of writing the countryside rangers have not visited all the sites in question and therefore the detail given may be light in some instances.
We are keen to hear from anyone who can provide additional information on any of the sites of interest.
WWII Sea Hurricane Crash Site
|Location details:||The crash site is located not far off the spur road between turbines F192 and F194. Head past F192 towards F194 until reaching a culvert over a stream (Bucht Burn). The forestry in this area has recently been felled so it's possible to see the memorial cross from the trackside. Leave the track at the culvert (steep sided so care needed), and head into the forest ride on the west side of the track, keeping the stream on the right (north), side and walk along the edge of the former forestry for approximately 100 meters. The memorial is just round the corner|
This is the unfortunate crash site of a World War II Hurricane of 770 Squadron, Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve, flown by Sub. Lieutenant Walter Maw. The crash took place on the 17th of January 1944. The reasons for the crash are unknown but low cloud and bad weather were present that day. The pilot Walter Maw was 21 years old at the time of the crash. He was born in Brigg near Scunthorpe and his remains were interned a short distance away from his birth place at Brumby Cemetery Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire.
The crash site is marked by a monument including a cross and memorial stone.
Euphemia White Memorial
|Location details:||The memorial is found just off the array road near turbine 67 and is close to Padonochie Burn|
The memorial site encompasses a wrought iron fence enclosing an obelisk style memorial to Euphemia Whyte and her husband William Smith of Townhead. There are a number of ornamental trees within the memorial including Leylandii and Yew. (Yew has been seen since ancient times as a symbol of death and everlasting life and has a strong association with graveyards etc.) The memorial doesn't appear in the National Monuments Record of Scotland, most likely due to it being a private memorial.
Little is known of Euphemia Whyte herself but she and her husband William Smith are thought to have been married in Stonehouse. William Smith was said to be a commissioner of supply for Ayrshire who is known to have attended Land Tax meetings in Ayr in 1865, 1869, 1883, and 1889. The estate of Townhead of Newmilns was his estate.
The details from the memorial are:
William Smith: born - 31/08/1823, died - 11/04/1895
Euphemia Whyte: born - 24/02/1836, died - 18/09/1908
|Location details:||The location is not marked on any maps. Head north-east from Laigh Alderstocks across the fields towards the tree line. Head towards the top (northern), corner of the woods where small white route markers can be seen. Follow these through the woods to a clearing where the memorial is found|
The memorial is to James Watson, his son Pte. Thomas Watson and his wife Margaret Reid Allison. Nothing further is known about the family or the memorial other than what is written on the stone.
The inscription on the stone reads:
In loving memory of James Watson of High Alderstocks Farm who died 27th April 1930 aged 65 years. His son Pte. Thomas Watson who died during war service at Cairo, Egypt, 7th January 1917 aged 21 years. His wide Margaret Reid Allison who dies 20th Feb. 1948.
|Location details:||The monument is situated a short distance from Lochgoin farm and can be seen from all around the general area, forming a prominent feature of the windfarm|
For information about the monument please see the 'Covenanters' page.
|Location details:||The area of Bessie's Neuk is located on the east side of the Spine road in the windfarm, near the entrance off the B764, and before the first array road|
Bessie's Neuk is said to be the place where a witch named Bess or Bessie was burned alive during the witch trials of the 1800's. Her calcinated or burned bones are said to have been uncovered some years later in the 19th century by a local farmer who removed them. One version of the tale says her bones were taken to a local church while another tells her bones were buried in his garden at Greenfield Farm not far from where they were found. No record could be found for Bessie in the Survey of Scottish Witchcraft Database.
Covenanters Preacher Stone/Boundary Stone
|Location details:||Near to turbine 64|
Little is known about this stone. It has been suggested that it is a boundary stone indicating the meeting point of four parishes: the Ayrshire parishes of Loudoun and Fenwick, the Renfrewshire parish of Eaglesham and the Lanarkshire parish of Avondale.
Whether there is a definite link to the Covenanters is unknown.
The Carlin Stane is situated on Cameron's Moss near Craigends Farm, near Waterside in East Ayrshire. To reach the stane, there is a belt of mixed woodland (seen on the OS map) with a track running (north - south) along its east side that provides good access. Enter the wood at the 'passing place' sign by stepping over the fence then stay left when moving through the wood. The old track isn't clear on first entering but its soon found. Follow the track down to the burn/stream. The stane is on the opposite side of the water, just within the tree line. Please note - there is a small bridge marked on the OS map just up from where the stane is located. The bridge is dilapidated and unsafe and we advise visitors not to use this. The burn can be crossed when the water is low or if high, by moving between turf and stone islands in the water near the east side of the woodland next to a water gate, where the track brings you out
Carlin Stone's or Stane's is the name given to a number of prehistoric standing stones and natural stone or landscape features in Scotland. The significance of the name is unclear but it may be a corruption of old Scot's or Gaelic. 'Carle' for example is a derogatory name for a commoner of low birth but 'carlin' is a lowland Scots term for an old woman or hag, or even a witch. A nearby watercourse known as the Carlin Burn indicates the importance that this stone may have once held. The stone is thought to have been much visited in the past, something that is indicated by the remains of a footbridge running to it across the Hareshawmuir Water. (It is possible however that the bridge may have been put in to allow access to Cameron's Moss rather than to the stane.)
Further cairns, mounds and standing stones scattered around the area (e.g. Moyne Moor standing stones, Craigends cairn, East Revoch cairns), indicate the use of these features in the region during the bronze age.
Dunwan Reservoir Late Medieval Vessel
|Location details:||Located at the North-east extent of the windfarm and accessible along a road off of the B764|
The current dam at Dunwan covers an earlier dam built so that the mills and looms in Eaglesham could be powered using water. This earlier dam is now under the waterline of the existing dam which is thought to have been built around 1939/40.
During a period of drought in 1966 when the water level in the dam was low the dam keeper found an almost complete pot or vessel on the shore of the dam near the boathouse. This was taken to the Kelvingrove Museum and identified as probably dating to the 14th century. When complete, it would have had two handles however, only two slightly raised areas remain where the handles would once have been attached. It is 14.5 centimetres tall and 10cm wide. This vessel is currently stored in Glasgow Museums Resource Centre in Nitshill under accession number A.1997.25. Requests to view this object - or any one of the other approximately 1 million objects in the collection - can be made via the link in the 'External websites' box.
Dunton Cove/Covenanters Cave
|Location details:||The cave is found off of the track leading from Airtnoch Farm up to Craigendunton and onto the reservoir. Located on a craggy outcrop of rocks on the Dunton Water burn it is situated approximately 3/4 of the distance from the farm to Craigendunton. It is not visible and visitors must leave the track to locate it. To find the cave, leave the trail before it reaches the conifer trees and follow the burn down the hill - the cave is on the north-west facing face of the crag|
The cave is said to have been created by Covenanters as a bolt-hole or hide out. The cave itself is very small and could probably only have hidden 1 or 2 people tightly jammed in. Caution is required if visiting the cave as it is on a steep sloped face and not easily reached without climbing.
Myres Hill Roman Road
The exact location of the roman road, if indeed it is a roman road is unknown. The grid reference provided above is where it is previously said to have been identified but there is some debate as to whether the road is truly roman in origin. The road is thought to have led from Loudon Hill (NS608379) to the fort at Barochan (NS414690) Houston, near Paisley and running through Newlands, Tongue, Lamb Hill, Low Overmoor, High Overmuir, west of Crook Hill and Myers Hill, Carrot Burn and Loch Hill.
The road was reported to be of clay and road metal (stone), construction and 5.5 meters wide. During construction of the windfarm archaeologists carried out an investigation of the area but no positive signs of the roman road were identified.