Apply for a Letter of Comfort

You can apply for a Letter of Comfort for some building work carried out without a warrant.

When to apply for a Letter of Comfort

  • For unauthorised work carried out before 1 May 2005
  • For work carried out with a building warrant but no certification of completion was given before the warrant expired

Who will accept a Letter of Comfort?

The letter is normally accepted by solicitors and lenders for house sales and mortgage applications.

How to apply

Icon for pdf Download a Letter of Comfort application form [298.46KB].

Email Building Standards with completed forms.

How to pay

We no longer accept cheques. You can only make payments by debit or credit card.

Pay online 

What happens next?

We'll only provide this when we carry out an inspection and when we're satisfied the work meets minimum building standards or you complete further work to bring it up to current building standards.

Last modified on 28 May 2021