Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).


Personal licence

Details on how to apply for a personal licence.

Licence summary

  • As well as the premises licence, whoever manages and operates a premises which sells alcohol must have a personal licence.
  • A personal licence authorises the holder to supervise or authorise the sale of alcohol. The premises licence holder and the personal licence holder do not have to be the same person however the premises manager must be noted on the Premises Licence.

Eligibility criteria

To become a personal licence holder you must:

  • Pass a course by an approved trainer.
  • Be aged 18 years or over.
  • Be resident in East Renfrewshire to apply to East Renfrewshire Licensing Board.
  • Not have had a personal licence revoked in the last 5 years.
  • Applications should be accompanied by 2 passport photographs and the qualifications certificate of the Applicant.

Personal licences

  • A Personal licence lasts for 10 years but you must renew your training qualification every 5 years.
  • If you are convicted of any relevant offences after the licence is granted you must inform the Licensing Board
  • For more information contact the Licensing Section.


  • There is a £50.00 fee for a personal licence application.

Application form

Application process

  • Your application will be forwarded to the Chief Constable and you may be contacted by the police to verify certain details.
  • If any of the eligibility criteria are not met your application will be refused.
  • If you meet the criteria but the Board receives a Notice from the Chief Constable specifying any previous convictions, you will be invited to attend a Hearing to determine the application.
  • If you meet the criteria and no Notice of convictions is received your application will be granted.

Lost licence

If you have lost your Personal Licence and require a duplicate copy please follow the steps below:

  1. Report the matter to Police Scotland and obtain a "Lost Property Slip" from them.
  2. Hand the Lost Property Slip and a letter of explanation with the appropriate fee (£25) to Customer Services.
  3. Request will be processed and a duplicate document will be issued in due course.

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)