Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).

Adults and older people

Housing adaptations

Find more information about help available to adapt your home.

What is available?

If you have a disability you can request help to alter your home to make it more suitable for you. This may involve the installation of a handrail for the stairs inside your house or at the front door.  It can also involve larger adaptations e.g. bathroom or kitchen alterations or widening doorways to allow wheelchair access.

Who can get help or who can get the service?

People of all ages living in East Renfrewshire who have a disability or are frail can request an adaptation to help them live safely and independently in their own homes.

How does a person request an adaptation?

You can contact the duty occupational therapist who will ask you some questions about what you need to to live safely at home. A member of the Occupational Therapy staff may visit you at home to discuss your needs and agree a plan which will help you to do the activities important to you.

Single Point of Access (SPOA)
Tel: 0141 451 0866

How much does it cost?

Following assessment by an Occupational Therapy staff member smaller adaptations like a handrail will be paid for by the Health and Social Care Partnership (HSCP) at no cost to you. Grants from the Private Sector Housing section are available for home owners and people living in privately rented homes who require an adaptation e.g. a level access shower or ramp. A Grant will cover 80% or 100% of the costs depending on which Benefits you are on. Assistance to get quotes, link with builders and the Planning section can be obtained from Care & Repair Renfrewshire.

An East Renfrewshire Council or Housing Association tenant can have their home adapted to make it more suited to their needs at no cost to the tenant.

Can a person get help with the cost?

If you are a home owner and cannot meet the remaining 20% of the cost, the Occupational Therapy  team or Care and Repair can help you apply to charities for help with funding.

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)