Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).

We're looking for customers to give us feedback to help us improve our website and make a difference to our digital services.

Carers and advocacy

Support for carers

Details on the carer's assessment process, what financial support may be available, how to take a respite break from caring and other support services.

Carers who intend to or provide a substantial amount of care on a regular basis are entitled to an assessment of their ability to provide or to continue to provide care (Community Care and Health Scotland Act 2002). This is independent of any assessment of the person you may care for. A Carer's Assessment supports you to think about and talk through your particular issues, hopes and aspirations.

Carer's Assessment

A carer's assessment is your chance to talk to the social work department about your situation as a carer. A carer's assessment is all about your needs, and social work staff will be able to see if anything can be done to make life easier for you in your role as a carer. This will include exploring your own personal strengths, interests, the natural supports around you and the wider community, as well as services such as short breaks or respite. The assessment can also look at signposting you to other sources of support, including income maximisation.

To request an assessment please call East Renfrewshire Health and Social Care Partnership (HSCP) on the Single Point of Access number (SPOA): 0141 451 0866

Alternatively East Renfrewshire Carers' Centre can make a referral on your behalf. The Carers' Centre also has an information sheet on carer's assessments that they can provide you with. You can also ask your GP, health visitor or district nurse to contact East Renfrewshire HSCP for you.

East Renfrewshire Carers' Centre (Head Office)
Eastwood Office
The Gatehouse
Eastwood Park
Rouken Glen Road
G46 6UG
Telephone: 0141 638 4888 
WebsiteEast Renfrewshire Carers' Centre
East Renfrewshire Carers' Centre (Giffnock) (Young and Young - Adult Carers)
Sandler's Cottage
2 Eastwood Park
Rouken Glen Road
G46 7JS
Telephone: 0141 638 2600
East Renfrewshire Carers' Centre
Barrhead Office
7 Bank Street
G78 2RA
Telephone: 0141 577 3852 / 0141 577 3832

Money and benefits advice for carers

Caring for someone can affect your household finances. You or the person you care for may be entitled to benefits. The benefits system can be complicated to understand.

Staff at the Carers' Centre will provide money and benefits advice. They can also help you apply and complete various benefit or grant applications. They can also make appropriate referrals on your behalf to specific money advice/welfare benefits professionals.

This includes supports like attendance allowance, carer's allowance, a complete benefits review or opportunities for income maximisation. Further information is also available from our Welfare Rights Service. They can be contacted on 0141 577 8609 or you can find out more on their pages:

Carer's allowance is available to help you look after someone with substantial caring needs. You don't have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for. You must be over 16 and spend at least 35 hours a week caring for them.  For more information visit:

Short breaks

The Carers' Centre provide support groups and activities such as stress management and relaxation sessions that allow the carer to get away from the house for a short period of time and away from the stresses of being a carer.
Staff at the Carers' Centre can provide advice and information about short break services and opportunities and at present the Carers' Centre also has access to a Creative Breaks Fund which can provide grants of a maximum of £250 to support carers to access and enjoy a short break. (This fund is available at the time of writing but is limited by the award the Carers Centre receive from the Scottish Government)

Shared Care Scotland is a national charity that works to improve the quality, choice and availability of short and respite break provision across Scotland. For more information visit their website or call: 01383 622 462.

Other support

The Carers Centre can provide information and advice about paid care support especially in an emergency or crisis situation.
If you wish to attend any of the activities organised by the Carers' Centre, but cannot leave the person you care for the Carers Centre may be able to provide care workers to allow you to attend.

Planning for an emergency

As a carer it is important that you make plans if an emergency prevents you from caring. You may wish to contact family or friends to see if they are able to help in a crisis and to make sure their contact details are easily available. An Anticipatory Care Plan can help you and the person you care for plan ahead for such emergencies.

If you haven't already made plans our health and social work staff can help you make one.  Please contact East Renfrewshire HSCP SPOA on: 0141 451 0866.

Carers UK offer further advice and support on emergency planning:

If you are in an emergency situation and don't know what to do, you can contact East Renfrewshire HSCP on the SPOA number, 0141 451 0866, or East Renfrewshire Carers' Centre on either 0141 638 4888.

What to expect when the person you care for is being discharged from hospital

Information from the Coalition of Carers in Scotland on discharge planning, when you should be involved and what you can do


The Carers' Centre offers a wide variation of training and information sessions to carers, to help answer questions or provide clarification on topics related to caring.  This includes information on commonly asked questions on 'what is self directed support?', 'what rights do I have as a carer' and 'how will I manage to remain calm in a stressful situation?'

Bereavement Support

East Renfrewshire Carers' Centre can provide emotional and practical support at a time of bereavement. The Carers Centre also deliver a group support session called "Exploring Change" which deals with the issues caused by bereavement such as loss and change.

Useful contact information

East Renfrewshire Health and Social Care Partnership Single Point of Access
Telephone: 0141 451 0866
NHS 24
Telephone: 111
Web site: NHS 24
Self-Directed Support Forum East Renfrewshire
Telephone: 0141 638 2525
Website: SDS Forum East Renfrewshire

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)