Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).


Petroleum licence

Apply and pay for a petroleum licence.

Certificate summary

To run a business where petrol is stored for dispensing directly into the fuel tank of an internal combustion engine.

  • All applications should be made to your local authority.
  • Fees will be payable for a licence.
  • Conditions may be attached to a licence.

Eligibility criteria

No provision in legislation

Regulation summary

  • None

Application evaluation process

  • No provision in legislation

What happens if I don't hear from the council within the specified time?

It is in the public interest that East Renfrewshire Council must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the council within a reasonable period, please contact us. You can do this online here if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.


When applying for a storage licence the fee is based according to the quantity of petroleum spirit stored:

  • Less than 2,500 litres £44.00

  • 2,500-50,000 litres £60.00

  • over 50,000 litres £125.00

When applying to change or renew a storage licence the storage fees are set annually by the Health and Safety Executive and are based on the amount stored. The costs are the same as outlined above.

Application to transfer a petroleum storage licence is £8.00

Apply online

When applying for a licence you will leave this website and will be directed to the Business Gateway website. You are required to register with the Business Gateway website, this should take a few minutes, and you will be emailed your login details. A Help facility is available and is located at the top right of each application page - you can access this facility throughout the course of applying for a licence.

Failed Application Redress

Please contact:

East Renfrewshire Council Trading Standards Section,
Thornliebank Depot,
Carnwadric Road,
G46 8HR
Telephone 0141 577 3782

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact East Renfrewshire Trading Standards Section in the first instance.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice Scotland will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

Please contact East Renfrewshire Trading Standards Section in the first instance.

Trade Associations

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)