Skip to content

For the latest service updates relating to coronavirus visit our coronavirus information web page.

Live chat is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).

Planning and building standards

Do I need planning permission?

Find out what work needs planning permission.

You might need planning permission to:

  • build something new
  • extend a property
  • build a conservatory
  • put a dormer window into your roof
  • put up a garage or shed
  • change the use of a property
  • carry out engineering or mining work
  • carry out external alterations such as re-roofing or roof lights

Other permission you might need

Listed building consent

If you're altering or extending a listed building.

Conservation area consent

If you're demolishing a building or walls in a conservation area.

Advertisement consent

If you're putting up an advertisement.

Tree Preservation Order

If you're doing work to trees.

Planning Aid Scotland                                                                          

Planning Aid Scotland (PAS) offers a free, impartial and confidential planning advice service, provided by our specialist volunteers, all of whom are chartered planners. Please visit Planning Aid Scotland for advice.

Apply on ePlanning Scotland online


Phone: 0141 577 3001

Related information

Work that doesn't need planning permission

Apply for planning permission

Developers and pre-application consultations

Planning forms and documents