Support for households

Find out about help and advice available to assist with your bills including energy support

Support for homeowners

If you're struggling to pay your mortgage or secured loan, and you haven't already done so, get some advice as soon as possible. It is never too early or too late to contact your lender if you're worried.

Who can I contact?

Our Money Advice and Welfare Rights Team on 0142 577 8420. The person you speak to should be trained to listen to your circumstances and offer well-rounded, practical advice and support.

Council Tax

If you've fallen behind in your council tax payments this year, we understand there could be many reasons for this as it's a very challenging time for everyone.

You can pay your Council Tax online or check other ways to pay your council tax 

If you're having difficulty paying, contact our Money and Advice and Rights Team for free, expert, confidential advice at or call 0141 577 8420.  Alternatively contact Citizen Advice Bureau on 0141 881 2032.

Council Tax Reduction

You may qualify for council tax reduction if you're on a low income, such as receiving a benefit or low paid work.  Check who can get it and apply for a council tax reduction.

Council Tax Single Person Discount 

You can apply for a single person discount on your council tax if you're the only person aged 18 or over living in your home.  Single person discount reduces your bill by 25%.  

Find more information and apply 

Housing Benefit

You can apply for housing benefit if you pay rent or are on a low income. Check who can get it and apply for housing benefit

If you receive Universal Credit, you can't claim housing benefit. Instead you can claim the housing part of Universal Credit.

Discretionary Housing Payment

You may be eligible if you're having difficulty meeting your rent payments and are entitled to housing benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit.

Check who can get it and apply for discretionary housing payment

Energy grants and advice

Households will receive £400 to help with the rising costs of energy bills. The discount will be made automatically by your energy supplier over 6 months from October 2022.  Direct debit and credit customers will have the money credited to their account, while customers with pre-payment meters will have the money applied to their meter or paid via a voucher.

We're working on a partnership with major energy providers so if you are struggling to pay for energy or think you may get into difficulty, contact your supplier and let them know.

If you can't get a grant from your supplier, check if you can get a grant from the British Gas Energy Trust (0121 348 7797). These grants are available to anyone - you don't have to be a British Gas customer.

Our Money and Advice and Rights Team can also offer energy advice and support.

Home Energy Saver Scheme

As energy costs continue to rise, we know many residents will be struggling and looking for way to reduce bills, but help is available.

We can provide free and practical advice and assistance to local residents. The works our team can undertake, free of charge, include:

  • Silicone seal around door and window frames
  • Loft hatch insulation
  • Repair or replace window vents
  • Radiator bleeding
  • Replacing old bulbs with energy efficient LED lights

As well as offering advice on how to be more energy efficient in your home when using electrical appliances and central heating.

If you'd like to find out more, email

Further support 

Energy Advice · Energy Efficiency Advice and Services, SCARF

Grants and benefits to help you pay your energy bills, Citizens Advice Scotland

Home Heating Support Fund 

Optimise your heating, advice from NESTA

Tips for reducing the cost of working from home this Winter, Scottish Business News

Last modified on 16 January 2023