Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).

News and announcements

Are you complying with your legal duty to separate materials for recycling?

Businesses are urged to follow recycling guidelines or face a fine.

Green recycling logo

Working in partnership with the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA), East Renfrewshire Council's Environmental Health team are urging businesses and residents to comply with recycling guidelines or face a fine.

Why recycle?

  • It's the law. If you don't comply, you can be liable for a fine of up to £10,000
  • From January 2016, you must recycle food waste if your business produces 5kg or more of food waste (unless excluded by rural location)
  • Reduces the need for landfill and the mining of raw materials
  • Helps prevent the production of environmentally damaging gases (such as methane) produced with biodegradable waste is sent to landfill.

Regulations in Scotland require businesses to separate the following materials for recycling:

  • Glass (including rinsed drinks bottles and food jars)
  • Metal (including rinsed cans and tins)
  • Plastic (including rinsed drinks bottles and food containers)
  • Cardboard (preferably flattened)
  • Paper (clean paper only)
  • Food waste (from food preparation and leftovers)

5 steps to stay within the law

  1. Look at what you're producing and get the right service from your waste contractor
  2. train your staff and label bins
  3.  Don't mix food waste, recyclables or non-recyclables (only use black bin bags for non-recyclable waste
  4. You are exempt from separating food waste only if you; don't prepare or sell food, qualify as a rural location or produce less than 5kg of food waste per week.
  5. Think before you throw and help Scotland become a zero waste nation.

If you don't follow these steps you can be fined up to £10,000.

For more information contact SEPA via email or call 0808 808 2268.

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)