Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).

Old - Apply to a secondary school

The secondary school to which your child will transfer or will be admitted is determined by the address where the parent/carer of the child lives, and whether your child attends or attended a denominational or non-denominational primary.

It is not possible to apply for a place online. You will need to arrange to visit the school to register for education.

Contact details to arrange a school visit can be found at:

If your child began their education in a denominational primary school then the transfer will be to the local denominational secondary school.

For children who began their education at a non-denominational primary the transfer will be to the local non-denominational secondary school.

The online map will help you find your local school:

You must make a placing request if you wish your child to attend any other secondary school:

A consultation on proposed new arrangements to school admissions, the transfer of pupils from primary to secondary school and placing requests, has recently concluded.  The proposed new arrangements were approved by Education Committee on 20 December 2016.  School admission, pupil transfers from primary to secondary and placing requests will be administered in line with the new arrangements from January 2017 and beyond. A link to the arrangements effective from January 2017 and beyond, is available below:

pdf icon School Admission and Transfer Arrangements [384kb]

Check if you are eligible for: Free school meals and clothing grants

What month does my child start secondary school?

Normally children begin their secondary schooling in August and start at stage S1 (starting age is typically 12 to 13 in August).

Is it possible to join the school in another month or year?

Starting S1 during the school term or at any time for stages S2-S6 is possible depending on the school and your circumstances.

Many of our schools are popular and you should contact your local catchment school as soon as you know that you will want a place to check availability. Because of the way in which we manage our school places we would expect that if the previous school were a denominational school, that you will want to enrol your child in a denominational school. We realise that parents/carers sometimes move into East Renfrewshire from areas where a denominational education is not available. We would ask that you discuss with the Head Teacher of your chosen school if you require a denominational education.

Contact details for all our secondary schools are listed at:

The Head Teacher will be able to advise you about enrolment. You may find that the school is already full at the stage you want. In this case you will be asked to contact the education office and we will discuss options for the schooling of your child(ren). We will do our best to meet your requirements and support you with transport to another school in the authority. We cannot provide support with transport to schools outwith East Renfrewshire Council.

Catchment school waiting lists

We will add your name to a list of families resident in the catchment waiting for a place at the required stage in the school once you confirm in writing that you want to be added to the list. You still have to produce the required proof of residence and the child's birth certificate at the school or education office to be added to the list. Only children resident in the catchment area can be placed on these waiting lists.

When a place becomes available at the appropriate stage, it will be offered to the first person on the list, that is the person who applied first. If the offer of a place is refused, then that person will be removed from the waiting list and any supported transport ended.

The place will be offered in turn to all on the waiting list on the same basis until the place is accepted.

If you think that we are wrong to refuse to enrol your child in one of our schools, you may make an appeal to the council's independent appeals committee using the placing request procedures.

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)