Skip to content

Live chat is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays)



Universal Credit and paying your rent on time

If you claim Universal Credit, any housing costs will be included in your payment. You'll be responsible for paying rent to your landlord. Find out what you can do pay your rent on time.

Scottish Choices

You can choose to have the housing element of Universal Credit (UC) paid direct to your landlord.

You can do this through your UC online journal after you have received your first payment.

Managed Payment

If you can't manage your rent, your landlord can ask DWP to pay rent direct to them. Your landlord must apply to DWP on your behalf.

This will help to stop you building arrears and protect you from losing your home.

If you are in arrears, your landlord can ask DWP to make payments to them to pay them off. DWP call this a 'third party deduction'.

Find out more about Scottish Choices and Managed Payments

Standing order

You can set up a standing order when you know the date of your UC payments.

This means you can pay your rent as soon as you get your UC.

The date of your second payment is the same date DWP will pay UC every month after.

pdf icon Download standing order form [119kb]

Open up a separate account

If you open a separate account, you can pay your rent into it as soon as you get UC. This will keep it separate from your everyday living costs.

Contact your bank or credit union to ask about a separate account.

Jam jar account

This is sometimes known as a budgeting account.

It helps you manage your bills so you don't need to worry about them.

Find out more about jam jar accounts

Credit union budget account

Pioneer Mutual credit union offer a free budget account if you claim UC.

DWP pays UC into the Pioneer Mutual Account. Your rent and council tax is deducted and paid to your landlord and the Council.

The balance is available to you with your rent and council tax taken care of.

Find out about Pioneer Mutual credit union

Prepaid cards

A pre-paid card helps you keep money to spend separate from money to pay your bills.

Find out more about prepaid cards

UC and rent arrears

Talk to your landlord if you're having trouble paying your rent because you're waiting on your first UC payment. The sooner you tell them the more chance they have to help.

You might be able to agree to make payments towards any arrears. It's important you agree to help with payments you know you can afford.

UC advance payment

Your first UC payment can take around 5 weeks.

If you're going to have problems while waiting for your first payment, you can claim an advance.

You can claim up to 1 month's UC payment interest free. It takes 5 days to process. You have 12 months to pay back this loan and it's taken from your UC payments.

You can apply for this once you've submitted your UC claim by contacting Jobcentre Plus.

Scottish Welfare Fund

You may also qualify Scottish Welfare Fund crisis grant

If you qualify for it, this is a grant you don't need to pay back.


Help with UC claim
Telephone: 0800 328 9344
Textphone: 0800 328 1344
Existing UC claimants
Telephone: 0800 328 5644
Textphone: 0800 328 1344




Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)