Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).

We're looking for customers to give us feedback to help us improve our website and make a difference to our digital services.

Adults and older people

Adult Survivors of Childhood Abuse

Have you been affected by childhood abuse?

Domestic Abuse

The Scottish Government is committed to improve the care and treatment of adult survivors of childhood abuse. Work to date has highlighted the complexity of issues which surround those who have been abused and the need for coordinated, integrated resources, care, treatment and support.

Key messages that survivors have said are important to them are:

  • That children and young people today should not experience abuse
  • Support for survivors should be lifelong
  • That support should be needs based and include advocacy, support and case management
  • That support should be integrated and joined up with specialist services when required
  • That support should be available across a range of domains of wellbeing
  • That support should be accessible to all survivors and their families
  • That justice and reparation for the suffering they have experienced should be readily and easily accessible

The Scottish Child Abuse inquiry has been set up to create a national public record and commentary on the abuse of children in care during the relevant timescale, and it is expected that it will make recommendations. The Inquiry has a dedicated website as well as information on the Scottish Government site:

There are a number of organisations that can offer support. Links to these organisations can be found from the Scottish Government's dedicated website:

East Renfrewshire has dedicated Adult Support and Protection and Concerns about a child pages.

If you are currently experiencing harm or want to report a child or an adult who is being harmed, you can report this by telephoning  0141 577 3001.

Domestic Abuse

If you want to talk about past experiences of childhood abuse you can contact Survivor Scotland to see the various organisations who also offer support. 

All the agencies listed will assist you to find the best person to talk to.

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)