Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).

We're looking for customers to give us feedback to help us improve our website and make a difference to our digital services.

Adults and older people

Care homes for adults and older people

Information about residential and nursing care homes for adults and older people.

Who can get the service?

We are committed to supporting you to stay within your own home. However, for a variety of reasons, this may become impossible. For most people this move will take place when the option to be safely supported to stay at home is no longer present. This may follow a deterioration in your health which makes you vulnerable living at home.

In these circumstances we will discuss with you and your family what the options might be. Where it is felt that a care home is the best way of meeting the outcomes for you we will help you with the process of identifying a suitable care home.

A care home is a place where you can live and have your care needs met by trained staff in homely surroundings. We recognise that a move in to a care home is a big step.

How does a person access the help/service?

The decision to recommend a move to a care home will follow an assessment by a member of the Health and Social Care Partnership (HSCP) staff:

You can also ask someone else to make a referral for this assessment to be carried out on your behalf if you wish. Your GP, district nurse, member of hospital staff, local housing officer, welfare rights officer, citizens' advice worker, relative or carer can ask for an Assessment of your Care Needs for you. 

The Assessment Team can be reached on:
0141 451 0866

Even if you plan to arrange and fund these services yourself, it is still a good idea to get an assessment of your care needs to ensure that all your care needs are identified and that you are aware of any help that may be available to you from your Local Authority or the NHS.

Further information about the assessment process is available from:

Care Information Scotland
08456 001 001

What is available?

The type of care home will depend on the type of support you need and this will be agreed through the process of assessment. There are two types of care homes for older people.

  • Residential Care homes will provide personal care such as washing, dressing and giving medication.
  • Care homes registered to provide nursing care also provide personal care but have at least one qualified nurse on duty twenty-four hours a day to carry out nursing tasks.

Some homes are registered for a specific care need, for example, dementia or respite care. Please contact individual homes for specific details of services offered.

Within care homes registered to provide residential care, health support can be provided from members of the visiting health care team for example, a GP, community nurse or physiotherapist.

How do I choose a care home?

There are 14 care homes available in East Renfrewshire. Please use our mapping solution to find the location, address and contact telephone number for each of them:

All care home services must be registered with the Care Inspectorate whether they are owned by the local authority or private.

The Scottish Government set up the Care Inspectorate to provide assurance and protection for people who use care services in Scotland. It is their job to regulate and inspect care homes on a regular basis - at least annually. After they have inspected a service they publish a report and grade each home on their findings. The Care Inspectorate reports can be found on their website. The information is designed to help you find out more about the services and help you choose the best service for you or your relative.

If you are thinking of moving into a specific care home, you have the right to visit the care home at least once before moving in, to help you decide if you wish to move in permanently.

Care homes should have their own brochure describing their service and you can request this at any time.

How much does it cost?

The costs for a care home depend on a range of factors. There will be a financial assessment which will be undertaken by the Health and Social Care Partnership (HSCP) assessor.

You can find more information on paying for a care home on the Care Information Scotland website:

Further information

For information about adult and older people's health and social care services in East Renfrewshire visit:

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)