Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).

Housing services

Garden assistance and "Mr Diggit" maintenance scheme

Information about the changes to garden assistance and "Mr Diggit" maintenance scheme

Many residents across East Renfrewshire have benefited over the years from the council's garden assistance and Mr Diggit maintenance service. These schemes helped older people and residents with disabilities to manage their gardens and to keep them neat and tidy.

In these times of budgetary constraints councils are faced with many difficult choices and East Renfrewshire Council has decided to withdraw funding for the Garden Assistance and Mr Diggit schemes. The decision was only taken after public consultation on a range of possible cost savings affecting services across the council. This means that from the spring of this year all residents are responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of their garden area and regrettably no assistance can be provided by the council for this work.

The council informed all affected residents by letter late last year to allow them to make alternative arrangements in advance of the new growing season. This may present residents with some problems if they have physical or medical issues which affect their ability to personally carry out this work. However, it may be that their family, friends or neighbours may be able to assist in the future. If you are fit and able to assist a neighbour in this situation perhaps you could offer to do so?

Please note: Tenants/residents are responsible for their gardens and unfortunately due to budgetary constraints we can no longer offer any assistance. Organisations such as "Oskars", a Paisley based charity, may be able to provide some gardening assistance (for a fee). Oskars can be contacted on 0141 847 6626.

Garden responsibilities for council tenants

As an tenant of East Renfrewshire Council, you are responsible for keeping your garden and all communal areas in a clean and tidy condition. Local Housing Officers will continue to inspect gardens in the areas and take action to address any which are not maintained to a reasonable standard. Information and advice can be provided to council tenants on an individual basis from Housing Officers (contact 0141-577-3001).

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)