Skip to content

For the latest service updates relating to coronavirus visit our coronavirus information web page.

Live chat is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).

Home education

Home education

Find out how to apply to educate your child at home and the support we offer.

You don't need to follow the curriculum or keep to school hours.

You do have to show you're providing an education that meets your child's needs.

You need to provide a variety of resources including physical education.

You need to meet the cost of this.


Your child doesn't need to sit any formal qualifications. But you can arrange for your child to sit exams. For example through a school or college.

You need to meet the cost of this.

Withdrawing a child from school

You need to apply in writing.

In the letter you should include your child's name, date of birth and current school. You also need to outline your plans to educate your child.

We'll reply within 6 weeks of getting your letter.

What happens next?

The Quality Improvement Officer responsible for home education will arrange to meet you.

They may also meet with a member of school staff or an educational psychologist.

We'll take your child's views into account during the process. We'll also ask about your plans to educate your child at home.

We'll look at the application in line with United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Article 3: The best interests of children must be the primary concern in making decisions that may affect them.

Article 12: Children have the right to say what they think should happen and have their opinions taken into account.

Article 23: Children who have any kind of disability have the right to special care and support.

Article 24: Children have the right to good quality health care.

Article 28: Children have the right to a primary education and young people should be encouraged to reach the highest level of education of which they are capable.

 Article 31: Children have the right to relax and play, and to join in a wide range of cultural, artistic and other recreational activities

Our decision

We'll write to you with either our decision or to ask for further information.

If we agree to you educating your child at home, we'll remove them from the school roll.

You'll then be responsible for your child's education.

We'll let health services know to make sure your child can still get vaccines and health support.

When your child turns 16 Skills Development Service (SDS) will contact them.

Staying in touch

We'll contact you once a year to see how you're getting on and give support if you need it.

You can give us an update through a meeting or other ways. For example, in writing or a recording.

We'll also take your child's view into account.

After the update, the QIO will write a report and send you a copy.

We may ask for more regular contact if it's needed or if we have any concerns.

We can take further action if you don't follow up on any concerns.

Additional support needs

You can educate your child at home if they have additional support needs.

We'll ask you to outline how you will meet these needs.


Rosamund Rodriguez


Phone: 0141 577 3222

Related information

Scottish Government: Home education guidance

Schoolhouse: Home education support charity

Home Education Advisory Service

Education Scotland: Parentzone