Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).

Housing services

Local Housing Allowance

Information regarding Local Housing Allowance.

Local Housing Allowance

If you receive housing benefit toward the rent of your privately rented accommodation, local housing allowance (LHA) will apply to you. LHA was introduced in 2008 as the method used to work out the maximum housing benefit to be awarded to tenants who rent from a private landlord. The amount that tenants receive depends on their income, capital and savings. Until 2016, LHA rates were reviewed on an annual basis. The LHA rates which presently apply are published on the council's website at:

Since 1 April 2016, LHA rates have been frozen, and the rates shown on the link above will remain at this level until 2020. 

For LHA purposes, East Renfrewshire is divided into two Broad Rental Market Areas (BRMA's) - Renfrewshire/Inverclyde for Barrhead, Neilston and Uplawmoor market areas, and Greater Glasgow for all other East Renfrewshire areas.

The rates represent the maximum amount of housing benefit you can receive for renting a property in these areas. The actual amount you receive will depend on your income, capital and savings.

Number of rooms

The council will decide how many rooms you need according to the housing benefit rules. If you live in one room and share some facilities (for example, a kitchen or bathroom) you will receive the shared accommodation rate. If you are a private tenant, living on your own, and aged under 35 you will also receive the shared room rate. If this rate does not apply, the council will work out the number of rooms to calculate LHA as follows:

One bedroom:

  • A couple
  • Someone who is 16 or over
  • Two children of the same sex aged under 16
  • Two children younger than 10
  • A child (someone under 16)

Larger families who need more than four bedrooms are limited to the four bedroom rate for the area in which they live.

Where the rent is higher than the Local Housing Allowance, you will be responsible for the shortfall.

To discuss LHA further, you can contact the council's benefits service on 0141 577 3002 or e-mail

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)