Skip to content

Live chat is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays)



Private renting: your rights

Information on your rights as a private tenant and where to find help if you have problems.

Your rights are normally included in your tenancy agreement. Your rights include:

Private tenant information pack

Private landlords have a legal duty to give new tenants a Tenant Information Pack.

It gives details about your tenancy and you and your landlord's rights and responsibilities. The landlord or letting agent must give you this before your tenancy start date.

The landlord can be fined if they don't provide this.

If you became a new tenant after May 2013 and did not receive a pack, please contact us on 0141 577 8362.

The Repairing Standard

The Repairing Standard is part of the Housing (Scotland) Act 2006. It covers the standard properties of private landlord must meet to rent to tenants.

Scottish Government's Repairing Standard

Deposit protection 

Your landlord must put your deposit in a government approved tenancy deposit scheme



Phone: 0141 577 8362


Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)