We can help if you're having payment problems with council tax, housing benefit overpayment or a council invoice.
Make a payment proposal
Tell us about about any payment problems as soon as possible. If you contact us early, we have a better chance of being able to help you.
If you don't pay your council tax
- If you fall behind with your payments we'll send you a reminder. We'll ask you to bring your payments up-to-date within 7 days
- If you don't do this you might lose the right to to pay by instalments. We'll ask you to pay the full amount for the year, within 14 days
- If you don't pay this amount within 14 days, we'll take further action. Sheriff Officers could become involved to collect the debt
- You'll have to pay any expenses involved. This includes an extra 10% charge of the amount you owe
- Your bank account and/or earnings could be arrested. Deduction can also be made from your Income Support and/or Job Seeker's Allowance
Council Tax Recovery team
Phone: 0141 577 3208