Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).


Housing services

Gas servicing and safety

Information on gas servicing and safety for council tenants.

Annual gas servicing and safety check

By law the Council is required to carry out an annual Gas Servicing and Safety Check on any of its properties which are fitted with gas central heating or any other gas appliances which the council have provided for your use. This means that If your home is fitted with a gas fired central heating or has any other gas appliances which we have provided for your use, the Council will arrange to have them serviced annually and keep them working safely and efficiently.

From 24 June 2016 our gas servicing contractor is City Technical Services. City Technical Services logo

This may change from time to time as this contract is subject to competitive tender on a regular basis. if you are in any doubt about the contractors that call please check their identity cards and call to verify they are who they say they are.

Regular service visit

  • Our contractor City Technical Services will write to you offering you an appointment for the Annual Gas Service.  If this appointment is not convenient, you should contact City Technical Services directly on 0333 202 0708 to rearrange the appointment.
  • A fully qualified and Gas Safe registered engineer will call at your home once a year and carry out a service of each gas appliance supplied by the Council to make sure they work properly.
  • The work will normally be carried out between 8.30am and 5.00pm on weekdays, but special arrangements may be made with City Technical Services to accommodate appointments in the early evenings or weekends.
  • The purpose of the visit is to make sure that the gas appliances supplied by the council work safely and properly.  The engineer will clean, lubricate, adjust and renew if necessary, all working parts of the appliances and central heating system.  The engineer will also check that the flue and fresh air supply is correct.
  • When the work is finished the engineer will explain the contents of the servicing report to you and ask you to sign the servicing report to say that the service has been completely satisfactory.  You will receive a copy of the report.

How will I know that the gas engineer has been sent by the Council?

City Technical Services engineers will carry identity cards. The cards will have a photograph, the name of the person and the City Technical Services logo.

Do not let any person who is not able to show an identity card into your home. If you are suspicious please phone the Police or City Technical Services 0333 202 0708 straight away.

What if my system is faulty?

  • If your system fails the inspection, the engineer will advise you of what action is required.
  • The engineer will carry out the repair work if possible at the time of the visit and record actions on the service report.
  • If the engineer is not able to carry out the repair work straight away, a Gas Safe Warning Notice will be attached to the heating system, flue or appliance.  The Engineer will then arrange for the repair work to be carried out as soon as possible.

Will the engineer service and repair gas appliances owned by me?

  • The service does not cover gas cookers, although the engineer will carry out a visual inspection. The engineer will service and repair any gas fires owned by you while parts are available to maintain them. If your fire becomes unusable and parts are no longer available to carry out a repair the council will not be responsible for replacing it. If the engineer finds a fault on your gas cooker or gas fire during tests, he or she must legally cap off the supply to the appliance and tell you in writing why it was done.  The repair of the gas cooker or gas fire will then be your responsibility and the engineer will only turn your gas back on when the appliance is safe.

Service objectives

East Renfrewshire Council's objectives for gas servicing are to:

  • comply with all statutory requirements
  • have regard to all relevant codes of practice
  • ensure that there is an accurate and up-to-date register of all gas heating systems, flues and gas appliances which are the council's responsibility.
  • take account of manufacturers' warranties and recommendations.
  • ensure all work carried out is properly recorded and, the appropriate certificates are issued within the statutory period.
  • advise tenants of the standards of servicing and maintenance they should expect, together with the arrangements for carrying out the work and
  • complete any follow up work required within agreed set timescales and regularly review and monitor servicing and maintenance arrangements.Gas Safe

All of the engineers we send to work on your gas central heating or gas appliances we have supplied are fully qualified and Gas Safe registered.   Gas Safe engineer


Our service standards

East Renfrewshire Council aims to deliver a high quality service in respect of gas servicing:

  • The council must have good management and employ qualified Gas Safe registered engineers to ensure the smooth running of the service;
  • You will be treated with courtesy and consideration by all those people whose job it is to get the work done;
  • The engineer will ask you to sign the service form to say that the service has been completely satisfactorily.  We will check that these forms have been signed by you and contact you if you did not sign the form to find out if there were any problems.

Breakdown repairs service

The council's housing repairs service will ensure that you need not go without heating for more than a few hours wherever possible.  You must use gas appliances properly and report faults as soon as they happen so that the system is not damaged.

If your equipment fails phone City Technical Services on 0333 202 0708. City Technical Services delivers an emergency service 24hrs a day 365 days of the year.

You will be asked about the problem and told when the engineer will call. If you have no working heating and the engineer cannot fix the fault, he/she will lend you a heater until the repair is complete. If the parts for your equipment are no longer available the property service manager will decide on required action.

Standard for breakdown repairs City Technical Services standard for breakdown repairs

Category of repair

Priority 1 - Emergency

Respond within 2 hours from receipt of verbal or written order

Priority 2 - Urgent

Respond by the end of the following working day from receipt of verbal or written order

Priority 3 - Arranged repairs

Respond within 1 working week from receipt of order

Gas Safety

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous, deadly gas.  Poor fresh air supply or a blocked flue can mean that carbon monoxide gas will build up in the room in which the gas appliance is fitted.  To avoid this occurrence we would strongly urge that you never block or seal up air vents in a room where a gas appliance has been fitted.

Signs that gas appliances are not working properly are:

  • Gas flames that normally burn blue, are now burning orange or yellow instead.
  • Sooty stains on or just above appliance
  • A strange smell when the boiler or fire is in use.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include unexplained drowsiness, headaches, chest pains, giddiness, sickness, weak muscles, and diarrhoea and stomach pains.

If you suspect that an appliance is dangerous:

  • phone National Gas Emergencies on 0800 111 999 IMMEDIATELY
  • switch the appliance off immediately.
  • ventilate the property by opening doors and windows.
  • leave the room the appliance is in.
  • if you have any of the unexplained symptoms above, contact a doctor, or contact NHS24 by dialling 111

Gas leaks

If you think you can smell gas or that you have a gas leak, however slight:

  • phone National Gas Emergencies on 0800 111 999 IMMEDIATELY
  • turn off the gas supply at the meter.
  • put out all naked flames e.g. cigarettes, pilot lights and fires.
  • do not use electrical switches or sockets.
  • open all doors and windows.

Make sure you know how to turn the supply off in case of emergency.  The gas supply stopcock is usually in the same place as the meter.

Related documents

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)