Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).


Pet shop licence

Apply for a pet shop licence licence.

Licence summary

To run a business selling pet animals you need a licence from the local authority. This includes all commercial selling of pet animals, including pet shops and businesses selling animals over the internet.

Eligibility criteria

  • Applicants for a pet shop licence must not be disqualified from keeping a pet shop.
  • A fee, determined by the Local Authority, will be payable on application.

Regulation summary

A summary of the regulations covering this licence can be found at:

Will 'Tacit Consent' apply?

Yes, where the local authority fails to make a decision within six months of receipt of the application, the licence is deemed to be granted or renewed.

What happens if I don't hear from the council within the specified time?

You will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period


East Renfrewshire Council may arrange for a veterinary inspection to be carried out. If this is felt necessary you will be charged for the costs incurred in addition to the application fee of £58.00. This applies to the 3 licences below.

Apply online

When applying for a licence you will leave this website and will be directed to the Business Gateway website. You are required to register with the Business Gateway website, this should take a few minutes, and you will be emailed your login details. A Help facility is available and is located at the top right of each application page - you can access this facility throughout the course of applying for a licence.

Application evaluation process

Local authorities must have regard to the following when considering an application for a pet shop licence:

  • That animals will be kept in suitable accommodation, for example in regards to temperature, size, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness.
  • Adequate food and drink will be provided to the animals and they will be visited at suitable intervals.
  • That any mammalian animals will not be sold too young.
  • That steps are taken to prevent disease spreading among the animals.
  • That adequate fire and emergency provisions are in place.

Conditions will be attached to a licence to ensure that the above are complied with.

Failed application redress

Please contact:

East Renfrewshire Council
Thornliebank depot, Carnwadric Road,
G46 8HR

Telephone: 0141 577 3782

Any person who is refused a licence can appeal to the Sheriff at:

Paisley Sheriff Court,
St. James St,

covering the area the premises is located. A Sheriff may give directions on the issue of a licence.

Licence holder redress

Please contact East Renfrewshire Council Environmental Health Section in the first instance.

Any licence holder who objects to a condition attached to a licence may appeal to the Sheriff at:

Paisley Sheriff Court,
St. James St,

A Sheriff may give directions on the issue of a condition.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked follow Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

  • E.g. about noise, pollution, etc. Also should one licence holder complain about another.

Trade associations

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)