Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).

We're looking for customers to give us feedback to help us improve our website and make a difference to our digital services.

Children and families

Are you looking after a friend or relative's child?

Information for people who are looking after children without an official arrangement

Private Fostering family image

You may be a private foster carer without realising it and without knowing that you need to tell the social work department about the arrangement.

If you are looking after a child under school leaving age for more than 28 days, you are not related to the child and not approved as a foster carer or kinship carer, you need to tell us.

We can then help you to ensure that the child remains safe and well in your care and support you with any concerns that might develop over time.

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)