Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).

Prevention: confident consumers and avoiding scams

How to find a reputable tradesman

Get advice on finding traders you can trust.

ERC Trusted Trader

We use the Trusted Trader scheme in association with Police Scotland.

It's an online directory help customers choose a reliable trader. It has local businesses vetted by Trading Standards.

Trusted Trader

Advice to find a reputable trader

  • display a cold calling sticker to say no to uninvited doorstep traders
  • use a council checked Trusted Trader 
  • ask friends and family for recommendations
  • get quotes detailing the work as well as the cost
  • make sure you have the business name, address and contact details
  • check if guarantees are insurance backed
  • avoid paying cash
  • get receipts
  • use Care and Repair if you are over 60 and those with disabilities
  • phone Consumer Advice Scotland on 0808 164 600 to make a complaint or get consumer advice
  • phone Ring and Report if you think fraudulent workmen are working in the area. Keep a note of the registration number of the van and any other details and Ring and Report on 0800 013 0076
  • don't use workmen who come to your door unless you check their trading background
  • make sure they have an established trading address and a land line number
  • don't pay up front
  • don't pay if you are unhappy with the workmanship

Care and Repair service

Care and Repair is a useful service for many of our Telecare customers.

The team carry out a range of jobs, including:

  • joinery
  • plumbing
  • safety
  • security

Do I qualify?

You qualify if you're:

  • aged 60 or over
  • disabled or the parent or guardian of a disabled person
  • an owner-occupier or private, council or housing association tenant living in East Renfrewshire


Prevention Team


Phone: 0141 577 3782

Related information

Stop doorstep scams

East Renfrewshire Trusted Traders

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)