Information about the ambitious projects which will stimulate economic growth in East Renfrewshire.
- Construction of modern, flexible commercial units of 72 sqm (995 sq ft) at Crossmill Business Park, Barrhead.
- 17-acre former factory site now suitable for business, retail and leisure opportunities.
This project was also funded and supported by Scottish Ministers, the Convention of Scottish Local Authorities (COSLA) and the Scottish Government Regeneration Capital Grant Fund.
Improvements to Balgraystone Road (opposite St Luke's High School in Barrhead) are now complete. They have:
- opened up new residential development opportunities, including access and utility services to support the regeneration of Barrhead, the first phase of which will include a development of 39 council homes
- improved access to Dams to Darnley Country Park and the proposed new rail station, enabling a rail and bus interchange
- provided better connections for walking and cycling to Dams to Darnley Country Park
- supported the wider long term economic objective of delivering a new sustainable community in Barrhead South of up to 1050 new homes within the next 10 years
Aurs Road will be improved with two sections of realignment, creation of a roundabout, replacement of a weak road bridge and the addition of a promenade (walkway alongside the water). This will:
- form a safer, more direct local route between Newton Mearns and Barrhead with improved connections for walking and cycling
- allow for a bus route between the communities by replacing the weak bridge and repairing the road
- create a new site for developing visitor facilities at Dams to Darnley Country Park
- allow a 4km walking and cycling route around Balgray reservoir through the addition of a promenade connecting to existing paths
Visitor facilities may include:
- Outdoor education opportunities
- Play area
- Car parking
- Wake board centre (water sport which uses an overhead cable to pull participants across the water)
This will provide:
- Improved access to jobs and services for the existing community of Auchenback and new residents from the planned housing developments
- Excellent travel links and a direct public transport link to Dams to Darnley Country Park
This project aims to identify a new route to connect Newton Mearns and Barrhead, creating easier access to the M77. This may include new roads as well as improvements to existing routes.