Register a civil partnership

Find out how to register a civil partnership.

Before you start

You must give at least 29 days' notice for a civil partnership.

You need to fill in a CP10 form and make an appointment with a registrar to submit it.

Icon for pdf Download a CP10 application form [529.11KB].

How to make an appointment

To make an appointment phone 0141 577 3004.

We've 2 registration offices:

  1. Barrhead, 211 Main Street, G78 1SY
  2. Giffnock, Eastwood Park, G46 6UG

Who can register a civil partnership?

Both partners must be:

  • at least 16 years old when you register the civil partnership
  • of the same sex
  • not be related to each other in a way which prevents a civil partnership
  • unmarried or not already registered in a civil partnership


You must give at least 29 days' notice to submit the form.

The earliest you can submit the form is 3 months before your partnership ceremony.

Documents you need to bring

You must bring original documents. We don't accept copies.

If any documents are not in English, you must provide a certified translation.

For each partner

  • Completed CP10 forms
  • Birth certificates
  • Passport
  • Proof of home address.

You also need to give names and address of 2 witnesses who are at least 16 years old.

If you've been married before

  • Legal documents to prove any previous marriage or civil partnership has ended. For example, decree absolute document
  • Death certificate if your previous spouse or partner has died

Immigration control

If you're subject to immigration control, we may ask for additional documents. We'll let you know this when you contact us.

Contact us


Phone: 0141 577 3004

Last modified on 21 July 2020

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon
In this section