Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)
The education maintenance allowance (EMA) is a weekly payment of £30 to help support a student in education beyond the school leaving age of 16.
Who can apply
For academic year 2016-2017 you can apply for an EMA as long as you meet the following criteria:
- Your date of birth is between 1 March 1997 - 28 February 2001
- You attend a school within East Renfrewshire Council
- Your household income falls within the approved income thresholds set by the Scottish Government
- Your course involves at least 21 guided hours of learning per week
- You agree to and sign a valid learning agreement with your school
How much will I get?
|Income up to £24,421 for families with a single dependant child in the household||£30|
|Income up to £26,884 for families with more than one dependant child in the household||£30|
How will my EMA get paid?
Payments will be paid fortnightly in arrears into the student's bank account during term time. EMA payments are not made during short-term holidays which include the October Week, Christmas/New Year and the two week Easter break
Does my performance at school affect my EMA?
- Yes, if attendance falls below 100% in any one week
- Lateness can also affect payments
- If any of the conditions of the Learning Agreement are not met
Closing date for applications and how to apply
Autumn Intake: If application is made before 30 September 2016 payment will be backdated to the beginning of the academic year, provided that the Learning Agreement criteria have been met. Otherwise payment will be made from the date that the application is received.
Winter intake: if application is made before 28 February 2017 payment can be backdated to the beginning of that term, provided that the Learning Agreement criteria have been met. Otherwise payment will be made from the date that the application is received.
No application will be considered after 31 March 2017
Application forms are available from your school office, or can be downloaded using the attached links:
Completed forms must be returned to:East Renfrewshire Council
211 Main Street
Tel: 0141 577 3760/3258
Fax: 0141 577 3276