Barrhead Recycling Centre
Find the address of Barrhead Recycling Centre and the materials we accept.
Commercial waste is not accepted at this site. If you attend with commercial waste, you'll be refused entry.
Online booking system
The booking system at our household waste recycling centres in Barrhead and Greenhags provides various control measures, allowing us to ensure that only East Renfrewshire residents can use the facilities and that traffic on site and in the surrounding areas is safely managed. It also helps us monitor misuse at the site and prevent commercial companies tipping, which in turn reduces our waste disposal costs.
If you select a date and no time options appear this means there are no available booking slots. Do not attend the site without a booking.
Using the online booking system is the quickest way to secure a slot, but if someone doesn't have online access they can contact us for help.
Barrhead Recycling Centre
Barrhead is open 7 days a week, all year round except:
- Christmas Day
- Boxing Day
- New Year's Day
- 2 January
|1 April to 30 September
|10am to 7.30pm
|1 October to 31 March
|8am to 5.30pm
Barrhead is licensed to accept household waste and materials only for recycling.
No vans/trailers are permitted on site.
You can recycle:
- waste electrical and electronic equipment (anything with a plug or battery - ensure any batteries are removed and disposed of correctly)
- fluorescent tubes and low energy bulbs
- MDF, chipboard and laminates
- white goods
- scrap metal
- maximum of five 25kg bags of rubble and it must be separated from any soil. Regular visits with rubble or larger amounts will be classed as commercial waste and won't be accepted.
- car batteries
- household batteries
- engine oil
- garden waste
- gas bottles/canisters (for a household BBQ or patio heater, for example)
- small amounts of chemicals
You can also recycle everyday items such as paper, glass, cans, food plastics, drink containers or cartons.
Please note, you can't recycle food waste here.
- fire extinguishers
- commercial Fridges- all contents in fridge/freezers must be removed or will not be accepted.
- commercial gas cylinders
- food waste
- commercial waste
Due to new legislation issued by SEPA (Scottish Environment Protection Agency), all domestic
seating must be handled and disposed of differently to other waste. This is due to Persistent
Organic Pollutants (POPS) found in some chemical based fire retardants, which pose a risk to
We have created a new area of the site where you should bring all domestic seating.
Sofas, Sofa beds, armchairs, kitchen and dining room chairs, stools, footstoools, home office chairs, futon, bean bags, floor and sofa cushions and electrical reclining chairs.
You can dispose of asbestos at Barrhead Recycling Centre. However, you can only dispose of one bag per visit and only from a car.
You can't dispose of Asbestos at our Greenhags site.
Contact us to book a visit.
All asbestos must be doubled bagged with Visqueen bags.
Barrhead Recycling Centre is for East Renfrewshire residents only. When you visit the site, you must bring proof of where you live. For example, your driving licence, council tax or utility bill.
To ensure your visit to the site is as safe as possible, please ensure the following:
- you observe and adhere to the site rules
- where necessary ask for assistance
- always carry manageable loads
- always wear suitable footwear for the site
- be aware of soundings and vehicle movements
- When skips are getting exchanged your trip on site may be longer due to Health and Safety requirements when the exchange is in taking place.
We don't accept business waste at Barrhead Recycling Centre.