Greenhags Recycling Centre
Find out the address of Greenhags Recycling Centre, opening hours and the materials we accept.
We're currently carrying out some site improvements. Read more about what we have planned and view a map of our new layout.
Online booking system
The booking system at our household waste recycling centres in Greenhags and Barrhead provides various control measures, allowing us to ensure that only East Renfrewshire residents can use the facilities and that traffic on site and in the surrounding areas is safely managed. It also helps us monitor misuse at the site and prevent commercial companies tipping, which in turn reduces our waste disposal costs.
Slots are added every Wednesday at 9am for the following Monday to Sunday. When you visit the site, you must bring proof of where you live or you'll be refused entry.
If you select a date and no time options appear this means there are no available booking slots. Do not attend the site without a booking.
Using the online booking system is the quickest way to secure a slot, but if someone doesn't have online access they can contact us for help.
Greenhags Recycling Centre
Greenhags is open 7 days a week, all year round except:
- Christmas Day
- New Year's Day
|1 April to 30 September
|8am to 7pm
|1 October to 31 March
|8am to 5pm
Greenhags is licensed to accept household waste and materials only for recycling.
You can recycle:
- waste electrical and electronic equipment (anything with a plug or battery - ensure any batteries are removed and disposed of correctly). All contents in fridge/freezers must be removed.
- fluorescent tubes and low energy bulbs
- IMF, chipboard and laminates
- white goods - fridges and freezers must be emptied before disposing. No commercial-sized fridges or freezers will be accepted on site. This includes large chest freezers.
- scrap metal
- car batteries
- household batteries
- engine oil (waste oil must be passed to an attendant)
- maximum of five 25kg bags of rubble and it must be separated from any soil. Regular visits with rubble or larger amounts will be classed as commercial waste and won't be accepted.
- garden waste (only small amounts of soil within the garden waste will be permitted)
- gas bottles/canisters (for a household BBQ or patio heater, for example - gas bottles must be given to staff).
You can also recycle everyday items such as paper, glass, cans, food plastics, drink containers or cartons.
- commercial gas cylinders
- fire extinguishers
- commercial fridges
- car/van loads of building material/rubble
- food waste
- scuba tanks
- nitrous oxide (NOS) canisters
- Calor Gas cylinders - contact direct for collection
- asbestos - we can accept asbestos at Barrhead. All asbestos must be double bagged with visqueen bags.
If you're taking larger items of garden waste in a van or trailer to the site please cut these to a size that would fit in a car, as larger items can cause issues with the compactor.
Greenhags Recycling Centre is for East Renfrewshire residents only. When you visit the site, you must bring proof of where you live. For example, your driving licence, council tax or utility bill.
To ensure your visit to the site is as safe as possible, please ensure the following:
- you observe and adhere to the site rules
- where necessary ask for assistance
- always carry manageable loads
- always wear suitable footwear for the site
- be aware of soundings and vehicle movements
- When skips are getting exchanged your trip on site may be longer due to Health and Safety requirements when the exchange is in taking place.
The Greenhags Facility is operated by Viridor on behalf of East Renfrewshire Council, as part of the Clyde Valley project, which includes five local authorities.
Commercial waste is not accepted at this site. If you attend with commercial waste, you'll be refused entry.