Find out if your child qualifies for free school transport and how to apply.
Who gets free school transport?
Primary school pupils
Distance pupil lives from catchment primary school:
- 2 miles away or more
- 1 mile away or more and gets both a clothing grant and free school meals (in agreement with qualifying benefits)
- 1 mile away or more and has 3 or more older siblings
Secondary school pupils
Distance pupil lives from catchment secondary school:
- 3 miles away or more
- 2 miles away or more and gets both a clothing grant and free school meals (in agreement with qualifying benefits)
We check the distance by the shortest safe walking route.
How to apply
When to apply
You should apply when your child starts primary or secondary school.
For any other time, apply 4 weeks before you need transport.
The school bus service is organised on our behalf by Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT).
If you get a school bus place, we'll ask you to contact SPT to confirm pick up points and times.
When you need to reapply for a free school bus place
You need to reapply if:
- your child moves from primary to secondary school
- you move address
- there's a change in your circumstances. For example, if your child no longer gets free school meals
School transport complaints
You should contact your child's school in the first instance.