Housing in Multiple Occupation licences

Apply or renew a HMO licence online.

What's a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO)?

A property rented out by at least unrelated 3 unrelated people not in the same household who share a bathroom or kitchen. It can also be known as a house share.

HMOs include:

  • shared flat and houses
  • bedsits
  • lodgings
  • student accommodation
  • hostels
  • staff accommodations

Who needs a HMO licence?

You need to apply for a licence if you own or rent out a HMO.

If you run more than 1 HMO you need to apply for a licence for each property.

Apply online

The UK Government issues all HMO licences.

Application fees

 Up to 6 people7 or more people
New application£830£1052
Renew application£523£678
Certificate of complianceNo costNo cost

There could be extra fees for changes to the HMO licence.

Fines and penalties

If you don't meet any of the conditions of your licence you could:

  • have your licence withdrawn.
  • be fined up to £10,000
  • be forced to fix any problems. For example, home improvements

You can be fined up to £50,000 for renting out an unlicensed HMO.

Contact us

Email: privatesectorhousing@eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk

Phone: 0141 577 3573

Last modified on 17 June 2020

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon
In this section