Find out how to register a death.
Before you start
You must register a death within 8 days.
If the death was in Scotland, you can register the death at any registration office in Scotland.
How to make an appointment
To make an appointment phone 0141 577 3004.
We've 2 registration offices:
- Barrhead, 211 Main Street, G78 1SY
- Giffnock, Eastwood Park, G46 6UG
Who can register a death?
You can register a death if you:
- are a relative to the person who has died
- were present when the person died
- are an executor or solicitor of the person who has died
- lived with the person who died, if they died at home
If you're none of the above, but no one else can register the death, you can register the death as long as you:
- know the details of the person who has died
- have the right documents
Documents you need to bring
- Birth certificate
- Marriage or civil partnership certificate (if applies)
- NHS card (if available)
If you only have the medical certificate we can still register the death.
Documents we'll give you
- Abbreviated death certificate
- Certificate of registration of death (Form 14) which allows the funeral to take place
There's no cost for these documents.
Full death certificate and fee
|Within 1 month of registration||10|
|After 1 month of registration||15|
Phone: 0141 577 3004