Apply for a second adult council tax reduction

You might be entitled to a second adult council tax reduction if you're on a low income. Find out how to qualify and apply.

Eligibility criteria

You can claim if you don't have a partner but live at home with another person who:

  • is aged 18 or older
  • is on a low income
  • does not pay you rent. For example, a boarder
  • is not liable to pay council tax themselves
  • is not a disregarded person for council tax purposes. For example, a full time student

How to apply

Apply online

Proof of circumstances

You need to provide these documents for you and your partner. This includes proof of:

  • evidence of your identity
  • National Insurance number
  • any savings, capital or investments
  • any earnings
  • bank statements
  • any benefits, allowances or pensions

You can email your documents or post them to us.

If you decide to post your documents, we recommend you get a receipt of postage from the post office. 

What happens next

We aim to process applications within 4 weeks.

You must also provide proof of circumstances within 14 days of submitting your form.

Your council tax bill

If you qualify, you'll receive a new bill with the reduction taken off the balance.

Your bill will show the reduction for the whole year. This could change if your circumstances change throughout the year.

It also includes charges made by Scottish Water for water and waste services. You still need to pay these charges even if you qualify for a reduction.

You can only make a request to backdate a claim if you can show a good reason for this. For example, if you were in hospital and too ill to make the claim.

Contact us if you think this applies to you.

Last modified on 17 March 2023

In this section

  • Apply for a second adult council tax reduction