Housing benefit

Find out who can apply for housing benefit, apply online and what happens if you claim Universal Credit.

To give you the best customer experience we've recently upgraded our council tax and benefits system. We kindly ask for your patience while we process the applications received in the period between the old system closing and the new system opening. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please email benefits@eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk if you're experiencing any financial difficulty. Our staff are always here to help.

You can apply for housing benefit if you pay rent and are on a low income. This includes if you pay rent to:

  • us
  • a housing association
  • a private landlord
  • a hostel

Before you start

  • To qualify you must usually live in the property and be your main home
  • You or your partner must not have savings of £16,000 or over. A partner is someone you're married to, a civil partner or someone you live with as partner
  • We'll ask for proof of your circumstances. You need to send this within 14 days of submitting your form

Claim housing benefit/council tax reduction 

Proof of circumstances

You need to provide these documents for you and your partner. This includes proof of:

  • your identity 
  • National Insurance (NI) number
  • any savings, capital or investments
  • any earnings
  • bank statements
  • any benefits, allowances or pensions
  • a private lease or tenancy agreement

You must provide original documents. We won't accept copies.

You can take these to our offices in Barrhead or Giffnock. Staff will take a photocopy and return your documents.

Universal Credit and housing costs

From 26 September 2018 if you claim Universal Credit (UC), you'll no longer claim housing benefit. Instead you'll claim the housing element of UC.

You can apply for the housing element of UC online when you make your UC application. You need to tick the box to claim help with housing costs to get this payment.

Discretionary housing payment

You might get help with your rent if you get housing benefit or UC housing costs.

You might qualify if:

  • your housing benefit is reduced because of the benefit cap or spare room subsidy
  • you have serious financial problems which means you're having trouble paying your rent

How to apply

Email: scottishwelfarefund@eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk

Contact us

Benefits and Discretionary Payments team

Email:  benefits@eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk

Phone:  0141 577 3002

Last modified on 4 December 2020

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon