HSCP introduces new digital resource for unpaid carers
In partnership with Carers UK the resource brings together a host of information, advice and support in one easy to access place.
Published: 27 January 2021
East Renfrewshire Health and Social Care Partnership (HSCP) has invested in a new digital resource to further support unpaid carers.
In East Renfrewshire it is estimated there are over 15,000 working carers and one of the HSCPs strategic priorities is to work together with people who care for someone, ensuring they are able to exercise choice and control in relation to their caring activities.
To support this priority area of work, the HSCP invested in this digital resource which is hosted and managed by national charity, Carers UK. The resource brings together a host of information, advice, support and even apps to support residents with caring responsibilities and importantly is available 24/7.
The digital resource includes e-Learning modules, factsheets, interactive guides, personalised support, and information from us covering the following areas:
- Health and wellbeing: including resources around physical & emotional wellbeing, nutrition and breaks
- Support for Caring: including an 'About Me' e-Learning course on building networks and finding support, Carers UK Upfront guide to caring which gives tailored advice to carers depending on their situation and 'My Back Up' which helps carers develop a contingency plan
- Technology and Caring:includes guides on how to use technology in care
- Financial Planning:includes a resource made with the Money Advice Service called 'Thinking Ahead'; a questionnaire style tool to help people think about the costs of caring
- Working and Caring: includes guides to rights at work and seeking support at work
- Access to our care co-ordination App, Jointly.
- Young Adult Carers: an e-Learning resource for young adult carers now in adult services including, for example, advice and information for making choices about caring, and support in and about education and work
Carers can get free access to all the products and support resources by going to Carers Digital and creating a new account by using the East Renfrewshire HSCP access code DGTL1835.
Councillor Caroline Bamforth, Chair of the East Renfrewshire Integration Joint Board said: 'Being an unpaid carer can be incredibly rewarding, but it can also be hard, emotional and you rarely have a day off.
'Carers told us that while there is a lot of support and advice online, it was often difficult to find. We hope that having everything in one place, at the touch of a button 24/7 will be of real benefit to carers, whether they're looking for information on benefits and finances or looking for peer support.'
This news follows the HSCP appointing a Carers Lead in 2020, whose role is to ensure that carers needs become an embedded priority in all health and social care planning in the area, and to link with council, NHSGGC and third sector colleagues who are delivering services in East Renfrewshire.
Locally there is a range of support available to help improve carers' quality of life. The HSCP works closely with the East Renfrewshire Carers' Centre to listen to, support and inform carers.
To the East Renfrewshire Carers' Centre can be reached at 0141 638 4888 or email@example.com
More information on the support available to carers is available at NHS Inform or calling 0800 011 3200. Lines are open Monday- Friday, 9am - 5pm.