Non payment of council tax
What happens if I don't pay my council tax?
- If you fall behind with your payments we'll send you a reminder. We'll ask you to bring your payments up-to-date within 7 days.
- If you don't do this you will lose the right to pay by instalments. We'll ask you to pay the full amount for the year, within 14 days.
- If you don't pay this amount within 14 days, we'll take further action. Sheriff Officers could become involved to collect the debt.
- you'll have to pay any expenses involved. This includes an extra 10% charge of the amount you owe.
- your bank account and/or earnings could be arrested. Deduction can also be made from your Income Support and/or Job Seeker's Allowance.