Difficulty paying council tax

Find out what help is available if you're having difficulty paying your council tax, and how you can reduce your bill.

We understand circumstances can change, financially or for a number of other reasons. If you're having difficulty paying your outstanding balance, email ctax@eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk or call 0141 577 3002.

Our Money, Advice and Rights team can offer free, expert and confidential advice if you're worried about debt or struggling to manage your money. email mart@eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk or call 0141 577 8420.

How can I reduce my bill?

Council Tax Reduction

If you're on a low income and have limited savings, you may be entitled to a council tax reduction which will reduce the council tax you pay. It can't though be applied to any water or waste water charge you're liable for.

Read more and apply for Council Tax Reduction

Second Adult Reduction

Second adult reduction is available if you pay council tax, are single and have other adults on a low income living in your household.

Read more and apply for Second Adult Reduction

Council Tax discount and exemptions

Council tax charge is based on 2 adults living in a property. If you're the only adult living in the property, the council tax charge can be reduced by 25%. Certain individuals can be disregarded when counting the number of adults in the property, such as, students, care leavers and apprentices.

Read more and apply for Council tax discounts and exemptions.

More information

Check if you can save money on your council tax by using Citizen Advice Scotland's council tax savings tool  or contact Citizen Advice Bureau on 0141 881 3660.

Last modified on 17 March 2023